Helpful Information About Cycling in Metro Vancouver
Maps & Route Planning
Route planning has a HUGE impact on safety! Plan ahead.
- Route planning best practices
- Vancouver Bike Route Planner
- Metro Vancouver Bike Maps by Municipality
- Google Maps route planning
- Cycling in Vancouver
- Metro Vancouver Maps (TransLink)
- Bike to Transit
- Cowlines - multimodal trip planning App
- Let's Go Biking (Easy rides around Metro Van for all ages and abilities)
Cycling & COVID-19
Resources that cover everything cycling related in the time of COVID-19.
Resources on different types of bicycles, bicycle donations, bike shares, and purchasing options.
- Donate Abandoned Bikes (Donate Bikes from a Strata or Building)
- Metro Vancouver Bike Match Program (Donate a Bike or Need a Bike)
- Bikeshare: Vancouver: Mobi Bikes North Shore Lime Electric, UBC: Bike Share and Scooter Share Hopr
- Commuter Bike Shopper's Checklist
- Bike fitting services and 'try before you buy' options
- Adaptive Biking and 'Cycling for All Abilities' Webinar (Video & Resources)
- Cargo Bikes (includes webinar on cargo bikes for business)
- Electric-assist Bikes
- Kids Bikes (Coming Soon)
Our Streetwise program includes a variety of public courses to reach people with different skill and experience levels. Sign up today!
- HUB Cycling Courses
- Newcomers Guide to Cycling
- How to perform ABC Quick Check
- Helmet Fit video
- Year-Round Cycling
- 10 Cycling Safety Tips
- Using a bike box video
- Be Bike Safe when cars are turning right video
- How to do a 'Dutch Reach' video
- BikeSense: A Guide on Cycling Laws and Safety in BC
- Carrying Stuff on your Bike
- Cycling in the Rain
- BIKESAFE with Mobi by Shaw Go videos
- Cycling with Families: see our section on kids bikes and cargo bikes
- Metro Vancouver Cyclist's Handbook: English, Chinese, Tagalog, Korean and Punjabi
Insurance, Theft & Collisions
Be prepared in case of an incident on your bike or encountering a dangerous situation on a bike route.
Issues & Improvements
Help maintain cycling infrastructure by reporting potholes and unsafe street conditions or to request improvements. Or get involved in a HUB Local Committee and help us write letters, attend meetings and consultations.
- State of Cycling in Metro Vancouver
- HUB Cycling Amenities - Informing Design for End of Trip Cycling Amenities in Vancouver.
- Cycling in Cities Research Program (UBC)
- Safety Evidence for Bicycling (UBC)
- The Economics of Bike Parking (White Paper, Urban Racks)
- Value for Money: An Economic Assessment of Investment in Walking and Cycling (Dr. Adrian Davis)
- Cycling Research (McGill University)
- Initiative for Bicycle and Pedestrian Innovation (Portland State University)
- Toronto Cycling Think & Do Tank (University of Toronto)
- AARP Livable Communities
- A Manual for the Design of Active Transportation
Advocacy and Recreational Cycling Groups
Resources on recreational riding groups as well as HUB Cycling volunteer-run local committee groups can be found below.
Staying Fit to Bike
HUB Cycling Webinars on injury prevention while biking:
- HUB Cycling Webinar: Cycling for the Body and Mind (June 2021): Learn about the foundations of health and wellbeing, including how you can incorporate healthy habits into your life - on and off your bike!
- HUB Cycling Webinar: Injury Prevention for Cyclists (May 2021): Exercise and Rehab Kinesiologist, Anaïs Masbou, invite you to learn what steps you can take to strengthen your body and prevent common injuries associated with biking
- HUB Cycling Webinar: Injury Prevention for Cyclists (Sep 2020): Midori Handford, Registered Physiotherapist presents on common overuse of cycling injuries and their prevention and bike fit tips.
HUB Cycling Webinars
Cycling in a Post Pandemic World
Hear from experts on how cities transform their streets to get more people biking in the Covid and post-pandemic periods.
Cycling for Sustainable Cities
John Pucher PhD and Ralph Buehler PhD explore how cities can make cycling safe and convenient for all ages and abilities.
Cycling in the Metro Vancouver Suburbs: Barriers and Opportunities
Kay Teschke PhD explores the infrastructure challenges and opportunities of biking the Metro Van suburbs
Future of Urban Space and Streets: Bikes, Buses and Pedestrians
A conversation with HUB Cycling ED, Erin O'Melinn and others about the future of urban spaces and streets
HUB Cycling's Brand Guide
Thank you for helping spread the word about HUB Cycling!
Please refer to our brand guide here.
Download HUB Cycling logo:
- HUB CMYK logo (.ai file)
- HUB CMYK logo with Tagline (.eps file)
- HUB CMYK logo with URL (.eps file)
- HUB CMYK logo with URL (png file) (web | print)