Helpful Information About Cycling in Metro Vancouver
Maps & Route Planning
Route planning has a HUGE impact on safety! Plan ahead.
- Route planning best practices
- Vancouver Bike Route Planner
- Metro Vancouver Bike Maps by Municipality
- Google Maps route planning
- Cycling in Vancouver
- Metro Vancouver Maps (TransLink)
- Bike to Transit
- Cowlines - multimodal trip planning App
- Let's Go Biking (Easy rides around Metro Van for all ages and abilities)
Cycling & COVID-19
Resources that cover everything cycling related in the time of COVID-19.
Buying or Donating a Bike
Resources to help you decide which bike makes sense for you - cargo, road, hybrid, or city/commuter.
- Bike Shops with HUB Member Discounts
- Donate Abandoned Bikes (Donate Bikes from a Strata or Building)
- Metro Vancouver Bike Match Program (Donate a Bike or Need a Bike)
- Cargo Bike Buying Guide (check out our section on cargo bikes below under 'HUB Webinars and Resources on Bicycles)
- PST-Free Bikes, Trikes, and Related items (Check out our section on Adaptive Bikes below under 'HUB Webinars and Resources on Bicycles)
- Bikeshare: in Vancouver, we recommend Mobi Bikes
- Commuter Bike Shopper's Checklist
- Bike fitting services and 'try before you buy' options
Cycling Safety & Tips
Our Streetwise program includes a variety of public courses to reach people with different skill and experience levels. Sign up today!
- Cycling Courses
- Newcomers Guide to Cycling
- How to perform ABC Quick Check
- Helmet Fit video
- Year Round Cycling
- 10 Cycling Safety Tips
- Using a bike box video
- Be Bike Safe when cars are turning right video
- BikeSense: A Guide on Cycling Laws and Safety in BC
- Carrying Stuff on your Bike
- Cycling in the Rain
- BIKESAFE with Mobi by Shaw Go
- Cycling with Families: see our section on kids bikes and cargo bikes below
- Metro Vancouver Cyclist's Handbook: English, Chinese, Tagalog, Korean and Punjabi
Insurance, Theft & Collisions
Be prepared in case of an incident on your bike, or when encountering a dangerous situation on a bike route.
Issues & Improvements
Help maintain cycling infrastructure by reporting potholes and unsafe street conditions or to request improvements. Or get involved in a HUB Local Committee and help us write letters, attend meetings and consultations.
- State of Cycling in Metro Vancouver
- HUB Cycling Amenities - Informing Design for End of Trip Cycling Amenities in Vancouver.
- Cycling in Cities Research Program (UBC)
- Safety Evidence for Bicycling (UBC)
- The Economics of Bike Parking (White Paper, Urban Racks)
- Value for Money: An Economic Assessment of Investment in Walking and Cycling (Dr. Adrian Davis)
- Cycling Research (McGill University)
- Initiative for Bicycle and Pedestrian Innovation (Portland State University)
- Toronto Cycling Think & Do Tank (University of Toronto)
- AARP Livable Communities
- A Manual for the Design of Active Transportation
Local cycling groups meet regularly to discuss cycling issues. You are welcome to join!
Webinars & Resources on Bicycles
- Adaptive Biking and 'Cycling for All Abilities' Webinar (Video & Resources)
- Cargo Bikes
- Electric-assist Bikes
- Kids Bikes (Coming Soon)
- Building a Bike-Friendly Metro Vancouver:
Cycling in a Post Pandemic World
Hear from experts on how cities are transforming their streets to get more people biking in the Covid and post-pandemic period.
Cycling for Sustainable Cities
John Pucher PhD and Ralph Buehler PhD explore how cities can make cycling safe and convenient for all ages and abilities.
Cycling in the Metro Vancouver Suburbs: Barriers and Opportunities
Kay Teschke PhD explores the infrastructure challenges and opportunities of biking the Metro Van suburbs
Future of Urban Space and Streets: Bikes, Buses and Pedestrians
A conversation with HUB Cycling ED, Erin O'Melinn and others about the future of urban spaces and streets
HUB Cycling's Brand Guide
Thank you for helping spread the word about HUB Cycling!
Please refer to our brand guide here.
Download HUB Cycling logo: