Cargo bikes are sturdy bikes built to carry heavy loads and often two or more people. The bikes vary in sizes and shapes, may have two or three wheels, and commonly have a longer wheelbase than a standard bicycle, with space for hauling cargo either in the front or back.
What to look for when buying a cargo bike
- Helpful information on buying a cargo bike from Momentum Magazine
Metro Vancouver stores that sell/service cargo bikes
- Pedego Electric Bikes
- RadPower Bikes
- Reckless Bikes
- Velo Lifestyle
- VeloStar Cafe, Vancouver bike cafe that also services cargo bikes
*Please contact us if you would like to be added to the list!
Education/Learning to Ride Resources
Check out our education page on webinars related to ‘Biking with Children’ which includes information about cargo bikes for transportation of kids.
- HUB Cycling Webinars - check out our events page or contact our education team on upcoming webinars like Biking with Children and Intro to E-Bikes
- HUB Cycling Facebook Q&A 2020, Riding with Children with Lisa Courveau
- Check out our resources page for information on e-bikes, riding with kids, adaptive bikes, maps of Metro Vancouver cycling network
- StreetWise Cycling Online Course or contact our education team for more information
Cargo Bikes for Business
- Check out the HUB Cycling webinar (March 2021) below, The Potential of Cargo Bikes for Business
Learn about bike freight delivery and transport and how its application can provide sustainable solutions and opportunities for businesses and municipalities alike. Speakers will include, Sam Starr, Cycle Logistics & Sustainable Urban Freight Expert, Mike Zipf, Senior Engineering Assistant, Transportation Planning, City of Vancouver and Sandra Allen, Co-Owner, Director & HR Manager of Shift Delivery Coop. Erin O'Melinn, HUB Cycling Executive Director will be moderating. Further details will be confirmed
- Business owners in B.C. can get up to $1,700 when they buy a cargo e-bike. The rebate covers one third the cost of a cargo e-bike. Details here.
- To ensure two-thirds of trips in Vancouver are by active transportation and transit by 2030, the City of Vancouver has created a Cargo Bike Toolkit for Businesses. Check out the toolkit and share it with local business owners in your networks
Information on Cargo Bikes for transporting kids
- Spokesmama Blog: Blog run by Vancouver parent and HUB Cycling instructor Lisa C., with great links and information about biking with kids and information about different types of cargo bike options for families
- Vancouver Family Biking Facebook Group: A place to ask questions, discuss bikes, routes and all things related to family cycling. Posts selling & seeking family biking gear are very welcome! Connect with other parents, plan rides, enjoy Vancouver by bike!
- Genepidia Blog: Blog run by a Washington state parent on family biking including reviews of cargo bikes
- This Mom Bikes Blog: Alberta parent blog about active transportation, including cargo bikes with children
- CEED Centre Society is a Fraser Valley non-profit society dedicated to community education on the environment and development. Their velorganix program engages underserved youth in creating employment opportunities related to cargo bike transportation.
- Cycling Map of Metro Vancouver
Contact us if we’ve missed anyone or to be added to the list!