Delta - Ladner, Tsawwassen, North Delta & TFN
Ride your bike in Delta, including Ladner, Tsawwassen, North Delta, and Tsawwassen First Nation? Interested in local cycling advocacy, education, or events? Attend the next Local Committee meeting to see what's going on locally in cycling advocacy. All are welcome - no experience required!
Join our mailing list via groups.io to get regular updates, meeting announcements, agendas and minutes.
HUB Cycling views the diversity of our members and communities as assets and strive to create and sustain a diverse and culturally competent organization that reflects the populations we serve. This is central to our mission, “to get more people cycling more often” and to our ongoing efforts to remove barriers to cycling.
Chairs: Neil Pope & Roel Schootman
Mailing list: Delta Local Committee on Groups.io
Visit the Delta/Tsawwassen Wiki to view past agendas and minutes
Join the Groups.io mailing list to recieve meeting announcements and minutes. Committee is working on meeting at a regular interval and time.
L'aromas Cafe, 1200 56 St, Delta
Subscribe to the Delta Local Committee's groups.io mailing list to recieve meeting announcements and to get involved!
The committee is looking to fill the following positions:
- Assessment Ride Leader
- Events Coordinator
- Community Liaison
Join our mailing list on groups.io to get updates, meeting announcements, and meeting links. Everyone is welcome, no experience in advocacy or active transportation is required!
Development of a comprehensive Spot Improvement inventory, and ongoing monitoring with the Corporation of Delta, MoTI, and Translink
Ride assessment reports of the local bicycle network to provide input to the Corporation of Delta and other decision-makers, including:
- East Ladner to North Delta
- Tsawwassen to North Delta via Tilbury Industrial Park Millennium Trail
- River Road West-Brunswick Point
- River Road West via 41B
- Arthur Drive-52nd Street corridor
- Tsawwassen via 52nd Street
- Tsawwassen Area routes
- North Delta
Liaising with local cycling clubs for input on road conditions, including Boundary Bay Cycling Club, South Delta Riders, and Team Coastal Cycling.
Local/Regional Infrastructure - wins and ongoing work
Advocacy to improve the safety & efficiency of our community cycling network, including connections between town centres, transit hubs, residential & employment areas, schools, shopping, and parks. Specific priorities include:
- Potential greenway planning within Ladner and Tsawwassen
- Supporting the development of the Great Blue Heron Way trail system with Tsawwassen First Nation
- Engaging with BC Ferries about conditions and future improvements for cyclists accessing the Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal
- Participating in the Winskill Park Redevelopment consultations
- Providing input on Delta's Neighbourhood Road Improvements Plan, including changes to 52nd St (Spyglass to 12 Ave) and the Arthur Drive corridor.
Organizing meetings with Mayor and Council and engaging with major local/regional infrastructure projects to review plans and provide suggestions for safety & cycling enhancements and highligting top gaps, including:
- George Massey Tunnel Replacement Project
- Highway 17 Widening Project (MoTI, TFN, Corporation of Delta, Translink)
- Tsawwassen Mills shopping district (Ivanhoe Cambridge)
- Century Group who owns Town Centre Mall to include cycling infrastructure
- Providing feedback on multi-use pathway along River Road between Ferry Road and Elliot Street in Ladner
- Encouraging paved top to make biking easier to future dyke improvements
Providing ongoing feedback and recommendations for Delta's Cycling Master Plan
Education and Engagement
- Improving bike repair capacity in the South Delta area
- Delegations and review with the Corporation of Delta (Engineering Transportation Technical Committee; Parks, Recreation and Culture Commission)
- Meeting with local MLAs to introduce Delta HUB and highlight active transportation priorities and concerns; providing direction to the province's 10-Year Transportation Plan 'BC on the Move'
- Stakeholder engagement and outreach to locals and visitors, including the Delta Chamber of Commerce Summer Visitor Booths HUB Bike-to-Work-Week Celebration Stations
- Participation at the Southlands Bike-In, and the "Building Partnerships for a Healthier Community" workshop hosted by the Corporation of Delta, Fraser Health and the Delta School District.
- Hosting an Active Transportation workshop with Fraser Health and the Fraser Valley Regional Library to explore alternative travel options with community members in North Delta.
- Contributing to successful grant applications and funding opportunities for cycling education in Delta schools, including the inaugural HUB Learn2Ride course for grades 4/5 students at Holly Elementary School in Ladner.
- Drafting a Spanish-language "Cycling Rules" poster to introduce agricultural workers to local practises relating to cycling (ongoing).
- Assisting Tourism Delta, the Corporation of Delta and Delta Chamber of Commerce with publications.
- Sharing cycling 'best practices' with municipal staff & local groups, including bike lane, intersection and greenway construction, paint and signage
- Consultation with agencies such as ICBC on safe travel practises.
2022 Municipal Elections Survey
Delta Survey Results
|Party/Affiliation||Candidate||Do you support the overall goals outlined in Delta's Cycling Master Plan?||Do you support reducing posted speed limits and commitment to enforcement to assist the aim of Vision Zero (reducing fatalities and serious injury on Delta roads to zero)?||Do you support funding bike education in schools?||Do you support the goal to provide safe cycling infrastructure that is Triple AAA rated (all ages and abilities)?||Do you support "15-minute neighbourhoods", and are you committed to working towards the transformation of our neighbourhoods into 15-minute neighbourhoods?||Will you be a champion for active transportation on council?|
Achieving For Delta
|George Harvie (Mayor)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Dr. Maha Balakumar||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
View candidates' long-form answers here.
Candidates that have endorsed our Cycling Platform
Dr. Maha Balakumar*, Rod Binder, Daniel Boisvert, Jessie Dosanjh, George Harvie, Alicia Guichon, Dylan Kruger, Jennifer Johal, Pamela Swanigan
* with reservations
The City of Delta and TransLink have created maps of the cycling networks in Delta to help all cyclists navigate safely and comfortably on their bikes. These maps are updated regularly to provide current information on cycling and show the comfort levels of each route based on how separated it is from traffic. PDF versions of the maps for Delta are available at the links below. Cycling maps for other Metro Vancouver municipalities are available at bikehub.ca/maps.