Delta - Ladner, Tsawwassen, North Delta & TFN
Ride your bike in Delta, including Ladner, Tsawwassen, North Delta and Tsawwassen First Nation? Interested in local cycling action, education or events? Attend your local HUB committee meeting to see what's happening. All are welcome - no experience required!
Join Delta Local Committee's discussion group at groups.io
- Chair: Neil Pope
- Co-Chair: Roel Schootman
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Monthly: 1st or 2nd week of the month, 7 pm - 8:30 pm
- Location and Day: Rotates (Check back 1-2 weeks prior to meeting to confirm date and location)
Next Meeting: January 2020
Location and date TBA
Find out more: Visit the HUB Delta wiki
HUB Committee Calendar
Activities & Working Groups
Development of a comprehensive Spot Improvement inventory, and ongoing monitoring with the Corporation of Delta, MoTI, and Translink
Ride assessment reports of the local bicycle network to provide input to the Corporation of Delta and other decision-makers, including:
- East Ladner to North Delta
- Tsawwassen to North Delta via Tilbury Industrial Park Millennium Trail
- River Road West-Brunswick Point
- River Road West via 41B
- Arthur Drive-52nd Street corridor
- Tsawwassen via 52nd Street
- Tsawwassen Area routes
- North Delta
Liaising with local cycling clubs for input on road conditions, including Boundary Bay Cycling Club, South Delta Riders, and Team Coastal Cycling.
Advocacy to improve the safety & efficiency of our community cycling network, including connections between town centres, transit hubs, residential & employment areas, schools, shopping, and parks. Specific priorities include:
- Potential greenway planning within Ladner and Tsawwassen
- Supporting the development of the Great Blue Heron Way trail system with Tsawwassen First Nation
- Engaging with BC Ferries about conditions and future improvements for cyclists accessing the Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal
- Participating in the Winskill Park Redevelopment consultations
- Providing input on Delta's Neighbourhood Road Improvements Plan, including changes to 52nd St (Spyglass to 12 Ave) and the Arthur Drive corridor.
Organizing meetings with major local/regional infrastructure projects to review plans and provide suggestions for safety & cycling enhancements, including:
- George Massey Tunnel Replacement Project
- Highway 17 Widening Project (MoTI, TFN, Corporation of Delta, Translink)
- Tsawwassen Mills shopping district (Ivanhoe Cambridge)
Representing local cycling interests on Translink's Public Advisory Committee for the ongoing South West Area Transport Plan (SWATP).
Education and Engagement
- Improving bike repair capacity in the South Delta area
- Delegations and review with the Corporation of Delta (Engineering Transportation Technical Committee; Parks, Recreation and Culture Commission)
- Meeting with local MLAs to introduce Delta HUB and highlight active transportation priorities and concerns; providing direction to the province's 10-Year Transportation Plan 'BC on the Move'
- Stakeholder engagement and outreach to locals and visitors, including the Delta Chamber of Commerce Summer Visitor Booths (2015, 2016) and 2016 HUB Bike-to-Work-Week Celebration Station in North Delta.
- Participation at the Southlands Bike-In, and the "Building Partnerships for a Healthier Community" workshop hosted by the Corporation of Delta, Fraser Health and the Delta School District.
- Hosting an Active Transportation workshop with Fraser Health and the Fraser Valley Regional Library to explore alternative travel options with community members in North Delta.
- Contributing to successful grant applications and funding opportunities for cycling education in Delta schools, including the inaugural HUB Learn2Ride course for grades 4/5 students at Holly Elementary School in Ladner.
- Drafting a Spanish-language "Cycling Rules" poster to introduce agricultural workers to local practises relating to cycling (ongoing).
- Assisting Tourism Delta, the Corporation of Delta and Delta Chamber of Commerce with publications.
- Sharing cycling 'best practices' with municipal staff & local groups, including bike lane, intersection and greenway construction, paint and signage
- Consultation with agencies such as ICBC on safe travel practises.
2018 Municipal Elections - Candidate Survey Responses
General Election Day: October 20, 2018
Advance Voting October 6, 10 & 11, 2018
For more election information visit Delta.ca.
Would your local candidates for mayor and council vote in favour of increasing cycling education, investment, and infrastructure that would #UnGapTheMap in your municipality and the region more broadly? And would they make these commitments within the next four-year election cycle?
We asked Delta candidates to complete a brief survey* about their position on cycling, and the results are in! (Download PDF)
* Candidate responses listed in alphabetical order within each election race, beginning with Mayor.