Delta - Ladner, Tsawwassen, North Delta & TFN
Ride your bike in Delta, including Ladner, Tsawwassen, North Delta, and Tsawwassen First Nation? Interested in local cycling action, education, or events? Attend your local HUB committee meeting to see what's happening. All are welcome - no experience required!
Join our mailing list via groups.io to get regular updates, follow the public discussion about cycling in Delta, including Ladner, Tsawwassen, North Delta, and Tsawwassen First Nation, and have your say.
HUB Cycling views the diversity of our members and communities as assets and strive to create and sustain a diverse and culturally competent organization that reflects the populations we serve. This is central to our mission, “to get more people cycling more often” and to our ongoing efforts to remove barriers to cycling.
Chair: Neil Pope
Co-Chair: Roel Schootman
Please note that in-person meetings are currently on hold due to COVID-19. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or see below for more Information.
Next Meeting: October 19th, 7:30 - 8:30 pm.
The City of Delta and TransLink have created maps of the cycling networks in Delta to help all cyclists navigate safely and comfortably on their bikes. These maps are updated regularly to provide current information on cycling and show the comfort levels of each route based on how separated it is from traffic. PDF versions of the maps for Delta are available at the links below. Cycling maps for other Metro Vancouver municipalities are available at bikehub.ca/maps.
- TransLink Richmond and Delta Map (including Tsawwassen) (PDF, Updated Feb 2021)
- City of Delta Cycling Map (PDF, Updated Feb 2020)
- City of Delta Cycling Resources
Development of a comprehensive Spot Improvement inventory, and ongoing monitoring with the Corporation of Delta, MoTI, and Translink
Ride assessment reports of the local bicycle network to provide input to the Corporation of Delta and other decision-makers, including:
- East Ladner to North Delta
- Tsawwassen to North Delta via Tilbury Industrial Park Millennium Trail
- River Road West-Brunswick Point
- River Road West via 41B
- Arthur Drive-52nd Street corridor
- Tsawwassen via 52nd Street
- Tsawwassen Area routes
- North Delta
Liaising with local cycling clubs for input on road conditions, including Boundary Bay Cycling Club, South Delta Riders, and Team Coastal Cycling.
Advocacy to improve the safety & efficiency of our community cycling network, including connections between town centres, transit hubs, residential & employment areas, schools, shopping, and parks. Specific priorities include:
- Potential greenway planning within Ladner and Tsawwassen
- Supporting the development of the Great Blue Heron Way trail system with Tsawwassen First Nation
- Engaging with BC Ferries about conditions and future improvements for cyclists accessing the Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal
- Participating in the Winskill Park Redevelopment consultations
- Providing input on Delta's Neighbourhood Road Improvements Plan, including changes to 52nd St (Spyglass to 12 Ave) and the Arthur Drive corridor.
Organizing meetings with major local/regional infrastructure projects to review plans and provide suggestions for safety & cycling enhancements, including:
- George Massey Tunnel Replacement Project
- Highway 17 Widening Project (MoTI, TFN, Corporation of Delta, Translink)
- Tsawwassen Mills shopping district (Ivanhoe Cambridge)
Representing local cycling interests on Translink's Public Advisory Committee for the ongoing South West Area Transport Plan (SWATP).
Education and Engagement
- Improving bike repair capacity in the South Delta area
- Delegations and review with the Corporation of Delta (Engineering Transportation Technical Committee; Parks, Recreation and Culture Commission)
- Meeting with local MLAs to introduce Delta HUB and highlight active transportation priorities and concerns; providing direction to the province's 10-Year Transportation Plan 'BC on the Move'
- Stakeholder engagement and outreach to locals and visitors, including the Delta Chamber of Commerce Summer Visitor Booths (2015, 2016) and 2016 HUB Bike-to-Work-Week Celebration Station in North Delta.
- Participation at the Southlands Bike-In, and the "Building Partnerships for a Healthier Community" workshop hosted by the Corporation of Delta, Fraser Health and the Delta School District.
- Hosting an Active Transportation workshop with Fraser Health and the Fraser Valley Regional Library to explore alternative travel options with community members in North Delta.
- Contributing to successful grant applications and funding opportunities for cycling education in Delta schools, including the inaugural HUB Learn2Ride course for grades 4/5 students at Holly Elementary School in Ladner.
- Drafting a Spanish-language "Cycling Rules" poster to introduce agricultural workers to local practises relating to cycling (ongoing).
- Assisting Tourism Delta, the Corporation of Delta and Delta Chamber of Commerce with publications.
- Sharing cycling 'best practices' with municipal staff & local groups, including bike lane, intersection and greenway construction, paint and signage
- Consultation with agencies such as ICBC on safe travel practises.