Bike to Work Week
Our next Bike to Work Week will be from September 28th - October 4th 2020. We're in the early stages of planning this event, but it will likely involve the following components:
- Carefully planned Knowledge HUBs (replacing celebration stations) to offer quick bike fixies, information on cycling and encouragement
- Online webinars
- Livestreams and online Q&As
- Offline events to encourage participants to get out biking such as scavenger hunts
Be part of the change and help make Metro Vancouver a happier, healthier place to live, work and play! Register for Bike to Work week today. Already taken part before? Simply log a trip to be considered a participant.
- Enter into daily prize draws and the grand prize of an adventure for two including flights with Exodus travel. Remember to both log a trip and register on the Exodus contest page (link coming soon) to be in for a chance of winning!
- Logged trips help us work with local leaders to improve cycling conditions
- Challenge others and be in with a chance of becoming an award winning team
- Remember that all bike trips count!
May 2020 Go by Bike Week successes
- 40 bikes repaired for free for essential workers
- 420 people registered to take part in our lunchtime webinar series
- 3050 people registered to participate
- Nearly 10,500 reached via our livestreams
- 38,894 KGs of greenhouse gases saved
- 179,362 total kms cycled!
How it Works
It's easy, fun (and free) to participate in Bike to Work Week. Here's how it works:
1. Register for Bike to Work Week. You can start a team, join a team, or register solo. If you registered in the past, you do not need to re-register - simply login and record a trip after the official launch to be considered a participant. Nb: your team for Bike to Work Week in 2020 can be your workplace, family or challenge a group of friends!
2. Encourage your colleagues, family or friends to join your team to win great prizes!
3. Log your trips to be entered to win more amazing prizes. Each day you log you'll be entered into the daily giveaway for bikes, gear, and more!
Spread the Word and Media
Spread the word about Bike to Work Week! Example images included below.
Download and share our Bike to Work Week media kit to help spread the word!
We recommend adding the URL 'btww.ca' to the image in your email signature so that when this is clicked from someone's email signature, it takes you directly to the registration page
Team Leader Resources
Do you love cycling and want to encourage others to try biking their daily commute? Consider becoming a Team Leader this year! Team Leaders help us make Bike to WorkWeek a success. Thank you to the over 1,500 Team Leaders in Metro Vancouver that helped us reach almost 18,000 registrants last year - let's see how many people we can get cycling in 2020!
Here are our top tips from the 2019 Bike to Work Weeks on how you can encourage your teammates to get involved.
Team leader guidance
Other resources available:
Understanding your dashboard
If you're a Team Leader already and want some help understanding your Team Dashboard, check out this video.
Email Template for Colleagues/Friends/Family
Bike to Work Week is around the corner from September 28th to October 4th and we're looking to build our largest team yet to be recognized across Metro Vancouver! Here are three easy steps to register for (your team name)
Go to the Bike to Work Week Registration Page
Select: 'I am a Rider'
Select: 'Join an existing Team'
Simply type in your team name and join in on the fun this spring!
Get Involved and Volunteer
Sponsorship and Supporting
We would love your organization or business to get involved in Bike to Work Week. We have a range of opportunities for you.
See all the ways in our Events: Get Involved information.
Please note that this document was originally published in early March 2020, and hasn’t been updated yet to reflect how COVID-19 has impacted our events programming for 2020
Thank you to everyone who volunteered in the 2019 Bike to Work Week! If you are interested in volunteering in 2020 then please sign up for alerts on our Volunteer page.
What are the benefits of participating in Bike to Work Week?
There are so many reasons to go by bike!
- It's fun
- It's great for your health and saves you money
- It helps reduce air pollution and congestion
- It's great for workplace comradery
- There are tons of great prizes to win
- The data we collect from the event helps to make biking better in Metro Vancouver
What kind of trips can I log?
Pretty much anytime you have to lock your bike! or for 2020 anytime you hop on a training bike at home. But it should be on a bike - walking is great but doesn't count for this event :)
What if I'm retired / work from home / a student?
We still want you to join in on Bike to Work Week! As mentioned above, any time you use your bike for transportation, you can log that trip.
How do I become a Team Leader and register a new team?
Click here and register. After you enter your personal information, choose to register as a Team Leader.
I have an existing team on the website. Are we automatically registered for this event?
If you are already registered on the site, you must log a trip after our official launch date
How do I modify the route that Google Maps has automatically created for me?
Once you have input your start and endpoint, you can try to customize your route if you like (but it's not always easy!). You don't have to do this though - it's ok if your route isn't perfect - only the total kilometres and number of trips are recorded by the system.
- Click and drag any point on the purple directions line to any place on the map.
- Google Maps immediately re-creates the directions on both the map and the left panel.
- The point you added appears as a white dot on the route.
- Google Maps also updates the estimated travel time and distance.
- Move a destination by dragging a marker to another place on the map.
Can I automatically import my rides from another tracking app?
Unfortunately, our system does not support integrations with any distance tracking app (eg Strava, MapMyRun, Biko, etc) at this point in time. If you're already using an app to track your distance, we recommend using the Quick Kilometre Log feature in your Dashboard to quickly input your ride distance for each trip. Our tool is the only one where your trips are communicated to decision-makers to show the demand for a fully connected, safe cycling network and better education and policies.
How do I change teams?
Sign in to your dashboard and click on "Change my Team". If you are a Team Leader, you will need to assign a new Team Leader before you can change teams. Sign in to your dashboard and click on "Team Profile" to assign a new Team Leader. You will then become a rider and can click on "Change my Team".
How do I change the Team Leader?
Sign in to your dashboard and click on "Team Profile" to assign a new Team Leader.
Do I have to pay to register or be part of Bike to Work Week?
No, Bike to Work Week is entirely free for you! Thanks to our sponsors, we are able to offer this community and workplace event free of charge to everyone in Metro Vancouver.
How do you calculate GHG emissions?
"Kilograms of Greenhouse Gases Saved" is calculated based on an average of vehicle size/model's emissions per kilometre driven. The formula used is 0.2168 Kilograms of Greenhouse Gases saved per Kilometre.
How do you calculate calories burned?
"Calories Burned" is calculated based on a very generic formula. Since you do not have to enter your weight when you register and your cycling speed when you log a trip, it is an average weight of males and females in the BC Population and calculated calories burned based on an average speed. The formula used is 30 calories burned per kilometre cycled.
Still, have questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll be happy to help you!
Thank you to our 2020 Sponsors!
Thank you to our 2020 Supporters!