Bike to Shop Days
This year, Bike to Shop Days took place June 1-2. We had great participation online, at celebration stations and on guided rides.
Bike to Shop Days is a free public event that encourages community members to make trips by bike and demonstrates how much more fun, affordable, faster and sustainable it can be! Throughout the weekend people could score free snacks, tune-ups and prizes at our celebration stations, discounts at shops and join free guided rides across Metro Vancouver .
By registering for and participating in Bike to Shop Days you help HUB Cycling gain valuable data that we can share with local businesses and decision-makers as we push for increased bike infrastructure on commercial streets.
- Celebration Stations across Metro Vancouver where you can score refreshments, free simple bike tune-ups, giveaways, tips on carrying things by bike and win prizes!
- Access to our free guided rides taking place throughout the weekend to farmers markets, festivals and music in Steveston, North Shore and Vancouver.
- Access to discounts or prizes at MEC, Patagonia, Farmers Markets, and Granville Island shops. Check out our map below or list here for more details!
- Support of HUB Cycling in our effort to get more people on bikes. The more people that register, the stronger our voice when we advocate for safer bike infrastructure.
Just by registering you were entered into winning a prize pack valued at $500.. including $350 to DUER and a backpack pannier thanks to Two Wheel Gear. Congratulations to Vincci Lee, thanks for registering!
Social Media Prize
$50 gift card to Park Royal. Congratulations DJ Vaughan
Celebration Station Prizes
Congratulations to all of our Celebration Station prize winners!
Weekend Activities & Celebration Station Map
- Celebration Stations: Snacks, free bike tune-ups, tips on how to carry items by bike and prizes like $100 gift cards to Body Energy Club and Skoah, Vancouver Canadians tickets, growler fills and more!
- Guided Rides: Leaders led four rides to farmers markets, festivals and live music in Steveston, North Shore and Vancouver.
- MEC, Patagonia, Farmers Markets and Granville Island shops offered special discounts or treats to all those registered. Check out the map below or list for more details. Show your support and ride to local stores in your own community, share how you carry items by bike and use the hashtag #BiketoShop!
Check out our celebration stations, guided ride and discount provider map below. Please click on the drop down menu at the top left corner to filter activities. Click the top right button to enter fullscreen mode.
HUB Cycling hosted four free guided rides this year in celebration of Bike to Shop Days! Offering a great opportunity to meet new people, get some exercise, and explore a new place! All the rides visited a celebration stations.
Vancouver & Granville Island Market
Learn about a few of Vancouver's newest infrastructure projects in Vancouver, stop by the Trout Lake Farmers Market and end at the legendary Granville Island Market for treats, prizes and tune-ups. The Children's Festival takes place the same weekend on the island!
Lower Lonsdale Ride
Explore the Second Narrows Bridge and the beautiful Lonsdale Quay and surrounding neighbourhood by bike. This ride will stop at 2 celebration stations offering you double the snacks and double the chances to win the station grand prizes.
North Shore Festival Tour
Cruise over the beautiful Lions Gate Bridge and stop to see the views. We will be visiting two festivals on this tour, Capilano Mall's NOSH foodie festival and ending at West Van's Bridge Festival for live music, games and more!
Steveston Farmers Market
Start in Vancouver, cruise over the bike bridge and end at the quaint Steveston Farmers and Artisan Market for endless treats. You can get your bike tuned up or registered for free and explore what Steveston has to offer!
Become a Bike Friendly Business
Bicycles and local businesses make a great match! People that shop by bike choose businesses closer to home, shop more frequently and often spend more money over time than those who drive.
If you support biking and bike infrastructure, we encourage you to become a HUB Cycling Organization Member. In addition to knowing that your contribution helps to make cycling better in Metro Vancouver, your organization will receive great promotional benefits and VIP invites to HUB social and networking events. More info about the benefits here. You can sign up directly here or email email@example.com for more info.
Thank you so much to all the incredible volunteers who helped out at the event. We had a ton of fun with you! Volunteer for Bike to Shop Days 2020 or get involved with our other events like Bike the Night in September. You'll be part of an incredible community organization and will also receive an invite to our volunteer appreciation party! Fill out this form or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you're interested in helping out.
Spread the word
Help people get on their bike to shop! Share ways that you like to bike to shop, products that make it easy to do so or your favourite bike friendly businesses! #BikeToShop
Bike to Shop Days Videos
Thanks to our incredible sponsors City of Vancouver, Vancity, Downtown Vancouver Business Improvement Association and TransLink for making these videos possible!
Check out more tips on carrying items by bike:
Read our guide for some helpful reminders to keep you biking to shop all year round.
Momentum Weekly Article on Biking to Shop, Cargo Bikes and more!
Find our more about the relationship between bikes and business:
Park your bike near your closest bus stop or station, at a bike parkade or bring it with you (100% of TransLink's fleet is accessible to bikes). Three different types of bike parking are available at SkyTrain stations, bus exchanges, and West Coast Express stations throughout Metro Vancouver.
1. Bike Lockers
Reserved locker for your bike. Available at most SkyTrain stations and some bus exchanges.
2. Bike Racks
Standard outdoor racks for locking your bike up. Available at all SkyTrain stations and most bus exchanges.
3. Bike Parkades
To make shopping by bike even easier, TransLink has built bike parkades so now you can park your bike and hop on the SkyTrain! Located at Main Street–Science World, King Edward, Metrotown, Commercial-Broadway, Jocye-Collingwood and King George SkyTrain stations. Bike Parkades are indoor parking facilities where customers can lock up their bike for the day. More bike parkades will be under construction soon along the Evergreen Extension and the Westcoast Express.
The glass-walled facilities are lit 24 hours per day and are equipped with video cameras and convenient access 7 days a week. Only customers who enroll to use Bike Parkades can access the facilities.
How to Enroll
- If you don't already have one, get a Compass Card and register it on compasscard.ca.
- At the bottom of the “My Cards” tab under “My Programs,” click enroll in Bike Parkade.
- When you enroll, your credit card will be charged $8, which will be added as Stored Value to your Compass Card. You can use it to pay for transit trips or Bike Parkade usage. It costs $1/day to use our Bike Parkade facilities, with fees capped at $8/month. You can use one facility multiple times per day without incurring a new charge. If you use more than one facility, there will be a $1/day charge for each facility. Don't forget to bring a lock!
How to Park
- Cheeck out TransLink's video here.
Bringing Your Bike With You on Transit
- While many people choose to simply park their bikes at a station you can also take your bike almost everywhere with you: on the bus, SkyTrain, SeaBus and West Coast Express. Folding bicycles are also allowed on the trains or buses now and electric-assist bikes are allowed on skytrains. Additional information may be found on TransLink's webpage here.
More information on #BiketoTransit
- An overview of the different ways to combine cycling with transit can be found through our #BikeToTransit campaign.
There aren’t any celebration stations in my neighbourhood but I’d like to participate. Can I bike-to-shop in my area?
Absolutely! Anyone in Metro Vancouver can register free for Bike to Shop Days to be eligible for the grand prize. You can be part of the event just by showing your support and biking to your favourite shops from June 1st-2nd. We'd love it if you logged your trips with us or used the hashtag #BiketoShop and share your trips with the community!
Do I need to log my shopping trips to be entered to win prizes?
This year you will be eligible to win the grand prize by indicating that you'd like to participate in Bike to Shop Days during the Bike to Work Week registration process or by updating your user profile on your BTWW Dashboard. You'll be entered to win additional prizes if you log a trip on the weekend.
I work for a business that would like to get involved. Who should I contact?
We’d love to hear from you! There are a number of ways businesses can support Bike to Shop Days - offering prizes, food and beverage donations, or sponsoring a celebration station in your community. Email us at email@example.com and we’ll be happy to chat about these opportunities with you.
When is the deadline to register to win?
Register by midnight on Sunday, June 2nd and you’ll still be entered to win our grand prize. Log a trip on the weekend to be entered to win more prizes.
Thank you to our amazing sponsors!
Thank you to our amazing supporters!