Go by Bike Week
Save the Date! Spring Go by Bike Week returns May 30-June 5, 2022
Log your trips for a change to win great prizes!
Be part of the change and help make Metro Vancouver a happier, healthier place to live, work and play!
Register for Go by Bike Week today. Already taken part before? Log a trip to be considered a participant.
Go by Bike Week is a week-long behaviour change campaign aimed to showcase how resilient cycling is as a mode of transportation. During the week-long event, HUB Cycling encourages people to get out and ride their bikes anywhere and everywhere. Log your trips online during the event for a chance to win great prizes, track your kilometres, and see how many greenhouse gas emissions you’ve saved.
There's never been a better time to ditch the car for a week and save money on record-high gas prices. Get ready to discover the joy and affordability of riding a bike!
Help us spread the word and get more people cycling, more often! In the media kit, you can find sample text for newsletters and social media promotions. Please feel free to use any of the images in this folder for your promotions.
There will be 29 Celebration Stations across Metro Vancouver this Spring! Stay tuned for Spring 2022's station schedule. Each Celebration Station and Community Station will have free bike checks, cycling resources, prizes, and snacks!
This Spring's grand prize is a Cycling Adventure for Two to Holland! To be eligible to win the prize:
Thinking of being a Team Leader this Go by Bike Week? Check out our Team Leader Guide (updated August 2021) for information on how to make your week successful for your team. It’s packed with real-life stories from workplaces across Metro Vancouver where Go by Bike Week has become part of the culture.
Why Register for Go by Bike Week?
- Registration is free
- Enter into prize draws and the overall grand prize
- Logged trips help us work with local leaders to improve cycling conditions in Metro Vancouver
- Challenge others and be in with a chance of becoming an award-winning team
- Remember that all bike trips count - trips to work, a shop, the gym, or just for leisure!
How it Works
It's fun, easy, and free to participate in Go by Bike Week. Here's how it works:
1. Register for Go by Bike Week. You can start a team, join a team, or register solo. If you registered in the past, you do not need to re-register - simply log in and record a trip after the official launch to be considered a participant. Note: Your team for Go by Bike Week in 2022 can be your workplace, family, household group, or challenge a group of friends!
2. Encourage your colleagues, family, or friends to join your team to win great prizes!
3. Log your trips between May 30th and June 5th to be entered to win more amazing prizes. Every trip logged counts towards an entry into our daily prize giveaway! The more times you log a trip, the greater your chances of winning the daily prize!
Getting Ready for Go by Bike Week
The Commuter Bike Shopper’s Checklist - For tips and tricks on transitioning into commuter cycling
StreetWise Cycling Online course - Helping adult beginner riders gain the knowledge and skills needed to start their cycling journeys with confidence
Route planning - Plan your route in advance using our free Metro Vancouver cycling maps at bikehub.ca/maps
In-Person Cycling Courses at Trout Lake Community Centre - This year, we are very excited to be running a range of in-person programs at Trout Lake Community Centre, starting in early May and ending in late August. Courses are available for all levels of cyclists — whether you've never ridden a bike or you're looking for a refresher on urban cycling.
Free 24h passes from Mobi by Shaw Go: Code will get updated soon.
Tuesday, May 31st 12PM-1PM Intro to E-Biking: An introductory workshop designed to provide you with useful tips for buying, riding, and caring for your e-bike. Register for free here.
Thursday, June 2nd 12PM-1PM Intro to City Cycling: The perfect introduction to cycling best practices for people looking to gain knowledge about how to bike safely around the city. Webinar sponsored by Recycle BC. Register for free here.
Team Leader Resources
Do you love cycling and want to encourage others to try cycling? Consider becoming a Team Leader this year! Team Leaders help us make Go by Bike Week a success. Thank you to the over 1,000 Team Leaders in Metro Vancouver that helped us reach almost 8,000 registrants last year - let's see how many people we can get cycling in 2022!
Team leader guidance
Team leader guidance (PDF) (updated August 2021)
Guide for biking to work (from Two Wheel Gear)
StreetWise Cycling Online - Support your team with this free adult learning course. This low-barrier educational resource helps adult beginner riders gain the knowledge and skills needed to start their cycling journeys with confidence. For more information on the course and to register, click here. If you have any questions, feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Understanding your dashboard
If you're already a Team Leader and want some help understanding your Team Dashboard, check out this video.
Email Template for Colleagues/Friends/Family:
Go by Bike Week is just around the corner from September 27 - October 3, and we're looking to build our largest team to be recognized across Metro Vancouver! Here are three easy steps to register for (your team name)
Go to the Go by Bike Week Registration Page
Select: 'I am a Rider'
Select: 'Join an existing Team.'
Simply type in your team name and join in on the fun this spring!
Align your brand with Metro Vancouver's most recognized and respected cycling transportation organization through our events. Please email email@example.com to learn more about sponsorship opportunities.
1. What are the benefits of participating in Go by Bike Week?
There are so many reasons to go by bike!
- It's fun
- It's great for your health and keeps you active.
- It helps save you money.
- It helps reduce air pollution and congestion.
- It's great for workplace comradery.
- There are tons of great prizes to win.
- The data we collect from the event helps to make biking better in Metro Vancouver.
2. What kind of trips can I log?
All rides count! Pretty much anytime you have to lock your bike!
3. What if I'm retired / work from home / a student?
We still want you to join in on Go by Bike Week! As mentioned above, any time you use your bike for transportation, you can log that trip.
4. I want to participate, but I live outside of Metro Vancouver.
You can register at Go by Bike BC here.
5. How do I become a Team Leader and register a new team?
Click here and register. After you enter your personal information, choose to register as a Team Leader.
6. I have an existing team on the website. Are we automatically registered for this event?
If you are already registered on the site, you must log a trip after our official launch date.
7. How do I modify the route that Google Maps has automatically created for me?
Once you have input your start and endpoint, you can try to customize your route if you like (but it's not always easy!). You don't have to do this, though - it's ok if your route isn't perfect -the system records only the total kilometres and number of trips.
Click and drag any point on the purple directions line to any place on the map.
Google Maps immediately re-creates the directions on both the map and the left panel.
The point you added appears as a white dot on the route.
Google Maps also updates the estimated travel time and distance.
Move a destination by dragging a marker to another place on the map.
8. Can I automatically import my rides from another tracking app?
Unfortunately, our system does not support integrations with any distance tracking app (e.g. Strava, MapMyRun, Biko, etc.) at this point in time. If you're already using an app to track your distance, we recommend using the Quick Kilometre Log feature in your Dashboard to input your ride distance for each trip quickly. Our tool is the only one where your trips are communicated to decision-makers to show the demand for a fully connected, safe cycling network and better education and policies.
9. How do I change teams?
Sign in to your dashboard and click on "Change my Team." If you are a Team Leader, you will need to assign a new Team Leader before changing teams. Sign in to your dashboard and click on "Team Profile" to assign a new Team Leader. You will then become a rider and can click on "Change my Team."
10. How do I change the Team Leader?
Sign in to your dashboard and click on "Team Profile" to assign a new Team Leader. Click here for a video demonstration.
11. How do I remove people no longer on my team?
Your team leader is able to edit team members on your team. Once logged in, click on the “Manage & Add Riders” link on the left side column. Once selected, you will see a table with all team members. Simply click on “remove” next to the team member who is no longer active. Sometimes you will need to refresh or re-login to see the changes.
12. How do I change my password?
Click on the GBBW dashboard, scroll down and click on the “Forgot my password” link. Once selected, enter in your email address used to register and a new password link will be sent. Make sure to double-check your junk folder, as sometimes the link can wound up there! Click here for a video demonstration.
13. How do you calculate GHG emissions?
"Kilograms of Greenhouse Gases Saved" is calculated based on an average vehicle size/model's emissions per kilometre driven. The formula used is 0.2168 Kilograms of Greenhouse Gases saved per Kilometre.
14. How to remove the calorie counter from your dashboard
Once you log into the tracking tool, simply click on “Edit my Profile” on the left side panel. From there, scroll down until you see ‘Hide calorie counts’. If you’d like to hide this, please make sure the checkbox is checked. If you’d like to see your calorie count, you can leave it unchecked. Click here for a video demonstration.
15. How do you calculate calories burned?
"Calories Burned" is calculated based on a very generic formula. Since you do not have to enter your weight when you register and your cycling speed when you log a trip, it is the average weight of males and females in the BC Population and calculated calories burned based on an average speed. The formula used is 30 calories burned per kilometre cycled.
16. Do high schools register through Go by Bike Week? How?
Yes, high schools are encouraged to register through Go by Bike Week and track their trips using our online tracking tool. To sign up, a member from the high school will act as your team leader, setting up the high school as a ‘team’ by registering the school at bikehub.ca/registration. After creating a team, your team leader is able to invite fellow students and teachers to join your team. Click here for a video demonstration.
17. Are high school students eligible to win Go by Bike Week prizes? And What Prizes are available?
Yes! High schools are eligible to win Go by Bike Week prizes. All you have to do to win a prize is log a trip through our tracking tool. Along with being eligible to win Go by Bike Week prizes, a separate set of prizes are also awarded to top-performing high school students (e.g., most trips logged, most km logged, the top rider from new school). Participants are only eligible to win one prize. Specific prize details will be released on our website shortly.
18. I am already registered with an organization, but I want to make another group with my friends & family.
When registering through the GBBW tracking tool, simply select ‘other’ in the organization type.
19. How can I remind my team members to participate in GBBW?
Once logged on to your dashboard, simply click on ‘Team Communications’. Here, you are able to customize an email and send it to your entire team reminding them of the event! In addition, you can include additional information, such as if your organization is offering free coffee in the mornings or more information about bike infrastructure near where you are.
20. These are a few actions that as a participant you cannot do. If you need to change any of these details, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Update Organization Size
- Update Organization Address
- Update Branch Address
Still, have questions? Email us at email@example.com, and we'll be happy to help you!
Thank You to Our 2022 Sponsors!
Thank You to Our 2022 Supporters!