Bike to School Week
Bike to School Week (May 29 to June 2, 2023) is a free annual celebration that encourages students of all ages to bike, roll, or walk to school.
How to take part:
- Register online
- Put promotional poster(s) up in your school
- Spread the word about Bike to School Week through school newsletters, social media & PAC announcements
- During event week: Set up your tracking poster at the school's front entrance and arrange daily sticker distribution to students
- Report numbers with an easy online form.
When you register, you receive a poster and stickers to track each student's trip by bike and fun giveaways like temporary tattoos. Tracking trips makes your school eligible for prizes and awards.
*DEADLINE EXTENDED* Please note we have extended the deadline to receive tracking posters and stickers to May 21. These should arrive before Bike to School Week, but not guaranteed. You can register for the event any time and printable PDF posters are available any time.
Registration is now open for Bike to School Week 2023.
Bike to School Week will take place from May 29 to June 2, 2023. To register, complete this 5-minute registration form in a new window or fill out the embedded form below.
Secondary schools are encouraged to participate by registering for Go by Bike Week. The Go by Bike Week tracking tool provides a digital, interactive tracking experience more suited to high school students rather than the tracking poster and stickers, which is more suited to elementary schools.
You can register for the event anytime, but please be aware we can't guarantee the delivery of your posters and stickers if you register after May 9.
If you register after this date, you can come to HUB's office at 312 Main Street, Vancouver, to pick up your Bike to School Week package or download our PDF posters to print at school.
How it Works
What’s in my package?
One Large 35"x23" Tracking poster - see an example of a completed tracking poster here.
Approximately 168 Wheel and 100 “First trip” stickers (Unless otherwise specified on the registration form)
Four 11"x17" Promotional posters to put up around your school
Additional incentives to give away to students - including temporary tattoos!
You can register for the event anytime, but we can't guarantee the delivery after May 9. If you register after May 9, you can come to HUB's office at 312 Main Street, Vancouver, to pick up your Bike to School Week package or download our online posters to print at school.
1. Gather Support and Promote
Start planning early and find supporters such as students, parents, PAC members, school staff, green teams, bike clubs, leadership groups, and sustainability or health and wellness committees.
Add the event to your school calendar and create a buzz by including information in school newsletters, Facebook pages, and morning announcements. You can use our media kit for example, images and text.
2. Plan Events
Every school community is unique and celebrates Bike to School Week in its own way. You can make the event as small or big as you like. Encourage and celebrate cycling, and also consider encouraging other forms of active travel such as walking, scootering, skateboarding, or using a mobility aid.
Extra event ideas include:
- Bikers’ breakfast
- Bike decorating and/or parade
- Safety talk or lessons in the classroom (i.e. Bike rodeo, or other cycling skills or safety activity on the school grounds)
- Bike tune-ups (with local volunteers or bike shop)
- Biking or walking school bus
Check out our Bike to School Week Guide for more information & resources
*Please follow the latest advice from B.C.'s Provincial Health Officer when planning any Bike to School Week events.
*Unfortunately, HUB Cycling cannot provide instructors, equipment or Bikes for your events.
3. During Bike to School Week
Once #Bike2School week rolls around, you will receive a tracking poster and stickers to log students' trips.
- Set up your tracking poster with an eye-catching display at the school's front entrance.
- Decide how you will hand out stickers. Many schools assign volunteers to hand out stickers to students as they arrive at school.
- Track trips using our ‘First Trip’ stickers and ‘Wheel’ stickers. Each student's first trip of the week is tracked using the 'First Trip' sticker, while subsequent trips are tracked using the 'Wheel' sticker.
- Some schools also choose to track other forms of active transportation, in which case they should use a third sticker of their choosing.
- High schools are encouraged to register for Go By Bike Week so they can use our interactive online tracking tool.
- Share your celebrations on social media during the event using #Bike2School! Tag us in the fun and follow along - Facebook @WeAreHub, Twitter @WeAreHUB, Instagram @hubcycling
4. Report Back
- Reporting helps us demonstrate the impact to our sponsors and receive continued support for future events. Prizes are awarded to school champions who report back through random prize draws.
- The event reporting form will be available once the event is underway.
Bike to School Week Guide
First time organizing Bike to School Week at your school? Need additional inspiration? Check out our Bike to School Week Guide for curriculum links, activity ideas, and strategies for inclusion. The guide also contains information on the positive physical and mental health benefits of cycling to school, which can be used to help gather support for the event. You can also find example newsletter content to help promote the event, and lesson plans to use during Bike to School Week!
A sneak peek at some of the resources in the Guide:
- Parts of the Bicycle (PDF)
- Wearing a Helmet (PDF)
- Cycling Safety Gear (PDF)
- Locking a Bicycle (PDF)
- How to plan a Bike Bus, bike parade or rodeo
- Bike Bingo game
Bike to School Courses
We encourage Metro Vancouver's youth to get out and ride annually through fully funded courses delivered in schools and our provincial-funded Everyone Rides Grade 4-5 programs.
Click here to learn more about bringing Bike to School courses to your school!
Bike to School Week Media Kit
Spread the word about Bike to School using our Media Kit and Promotional Poster
Bike to School Week Posters
Download and Print: Tracking Poster
Download and Print: Promo Poster
Schools in communities outside of the Metro Vancouver area can visit Go By Bike BC's website to take part.
2023 Bike to School Week Registered Schools
Put your school on the map! Check out all the Metro Vancouver schools that have already registered for Bike to School Week 2023.
Click on the top left-hand corner to view which schools have previously participated in Bike to School Week.
Thank you to our generous sponsors!