Bike to School Week 2018: May 28 - June 1
Bike to School Week is a free, fun, week-long celebration for students of all ages and abilities. The event is a great way to enhance green initiatives already happening at your school, build community, and highlight the benefits of active transportation - like less congestion and healthy, energized students!
HUB Cycling coordinates the event for elementary and middle school across Metro Vancouver. Schools in other communities can visit Go By Bike BC to take part.
Secondary schools are encouraged to participate in Spring Bike to Work Week as an entire school or individual riders. Seconary students and staff can log their trips to school and work, track their results and are eligible to win Bike to Work Week awards and prizes.
See map of registered schools here!
How It Works
1. Gather Support and Promote
It’s never too early to get planning. Find out who your supporters are: talk to students, parents, PAC members and school staff. If you school has a green team, bike club, leadership group, sustainability or health and wellness committee, get them involved too.
Add BTSW to your school calendar, and include information in school newsletters, facebook pages, and morning announcements to create a buzz. Use our promo poster to spread the word!
Receive your event package (info below). Come to an event package pickup night to connect with other school champions, share great event ideas, and grab extra goodies to give away.
2. Plan Events
Every school community is different and celebrates BTSW in their own way. You can make the event as small or big as you like, the important thing is to encourage and celebrate cycling! Some schools also choose to track other forms of active transportation like walking, scootering, or skateboarding - we think that’s awesome!
Check out what other successful schools have done here. Some event ideas to get you started are:
- Bikers’ breakfast
- Bike decorating and/or parade
- Bike safety talk or lessons in the classroom
- Bike rodeo, or other cycling skills or safety activity on the school grounds
- Group ride
- Bike tune-ups (with local volunteers or bike shop)
- Bike-pool or bike school bus
For cycling safety resources and activities for cyclists of all ages check out our resources page.
3. Track Your Trips
Once BTSW rolls around - set up your tracking poster with an eye-catching display at the front entrance of the school. Decide how you will hand out stickers. Many schools assign volunteers to hand out stickers to students as they arrive at school.
Track trips using our ‘First Trip’ stickers and ‘Wheel’ stickers. Each student’s first trip of the week is tracked using the ‘First Trip’ sticker. Subsequent trips to and from school are tracked using the ‘Wheel’ sticker. If you choose to track active transportation please use a third sticker of your choosing.
4. Report Back
We want to hear about your week! Reporting helps us demonstrate the impact of BTSW to funders to receive continued support for future events. Please fill out our survey below and send us your sticker count OR send picture of your tracking poster to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 8th. Prizes are awarded for top-ranking schools and through random prize draws for all schools reporting back.
Getting Your Event Package
Packages will be ready on May 1st. There are three ways to get your event package:
- Pickup at HUB Cycling office in Vancouver
- By mail to the school office
- Attend a package pickup night
Package Pickup nights are casual drop in events with the opportunity to mingle with other school champions, and get event ideas and inspiration from the HUB staff team.
Thursday, May 3 - 3:30-6:30pm
Vancouver School Board, Vancouver *schools from all districts are welcome to attend
Tuesday, May 8 - 3:30-5:30pm
Surrey Board of Education, Surrey
Hosted in collaboration with the Surrey 2018 Green Champions Event (more details coming soon!) *This night is only open to participating Surrey schools
What’s in my package?
- Tracking poster - see an example of a completed tracking poster here.
- Wheel and “First trip” stickers
- Tips & Resources sheet
- *NEW Promotional posters to put up around your school - need more? Print them here.
- Incentives to give away to students including tatttoos! *Pick up your package to get additional giveaways!
All schools that report their results are eligible to win exciting prizes! Prizes are awarded by draw, and to top ranking schools based on # of participants and # of trips per capita.
The Early Bird prize is a bike maintenance session. Delivered by a HUB Cycling instructor, this session will help students make sure their bikes are safe to ride in advance of Bike to School Week. Register by April 16th to be eligible to win!
This year's Grand Prizes encourage schools to keep investing in their school cycling culture and promote active travel in their community.
- The School Promoter Package includes key items such as folding table, shelter/tent, and AV equipment needed to stage future active travel events all year round.
- The Gear Up Package includes helmets, locks, bells, lights and other accessories to give out to students, equipping them for safe and fun cycling.
- The Bike Maintenance Package includes all the basic tools required for minor bike repairs at your school. No more flat tires and rusty chains in your schoolyard!
- The Best First Time School prize is a bike rack from Urban Racks for your school grounds, offering more safe and secure bike parking for students and staff cycling.
We will also be doing seveal random prize draws for schools that report back. Stay tuned for more prize announcements.
Thank you to our generous Sponsors & Supporters
Want to receive event updates? Click below to subscribe to our Bike to School Week Newsletter.