Go by Bike Week
Our Spring Go by Bike Week will be May 31st - June 6th, 2021 and the Fall 2021 event will be held from Sept 27th - Oct 3rd, 2021.
Be part of the change and help make Metro Vancouver a happier, healthier place to live, work and play! Register for Go by Bike Week today. Already taken part before? Log a trip to be considered a participant.
What to Expect:
Go by Bike Week is a week-long behaviour change campaign aimed to showcase how resilient cycling is as a mode of transportation. During the week-long event, HUB Cycling encourages people to get out and ride their bikes anywhere and everywhere. Log your trips online at btww.ca for a chance to win great prizes, track your kilometres, and see how many greenhouse gas emissions you’ve saved.
With the increase of Provincial Health Order restrictions in March 2021, Go by Bike Week Spring 2021 will return again to a fully digital event. This means that there will be no in-person Knowledge HUB stations or Community Stations in Spring 2021. The event will include:
- Online activations including webinars, online classes, live stream Q&As, and short video clips covering a range of topics such as ‘intro to biking’, ‘the future of e-bikes’, yoga classes, and more
- Support for essential workers and the hospitality industry - pop by a designated bike shop and get a free bike tune-up
- A ‘Ride Hour’ Challenge (an evolution of the ‘rush hour challenge’) showcasing how local champions use one hour of their day outside on their bikes
- Competition through our online tracking tool - register as a team to win prizes at btww.ca! Teams can include your co-workers, household bubbles, families, and friends.
- Lots of great prizes to be won throughout the week, including prizes from Scandinave Spa Whistler, Dunbar Cycles, Park Royal, Arc’teryx, and more!
- Remember to follow all Provincial Health Guidelines and keep a 2-meter physical distance from others outside your household bubble while riding. For reference, 2 metres is about the length of your bike!
Why Register for Go by Bike Week?
- Registration is free
- Enter into prize draws and the overall grand prize
- Logged trips help us work with local leaders to improve cycling conditions in Metro Vancouver
- Challenge others and be in with a chance of becoming an award-winning team
- Remember that all bike trips count - trips to work, a shop, the gym, or just for leisure!
Monday, May 31: Get Moving Monday
Daily prize: Kyanite Hoody from Arc’teryx
- 10:00 AM - 10:45 AM: Yoga class with STRETCH Yoga Where: Check back soon for registration link Win: STRETCH Yoga mat & free online yoga class
- 11:00 AM: Pre-ride check: Air, Brakes, Chain by Dunbar Cycles Where: Facebook Win: A prize from Dunbar Cycles (TBD)
- 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM: Lunchtime webinar from HUB Cycling’s Bike Education Team. Where: Check back soon for registration link Win: TransLink Icon throw pillow ($57) and prize pack from CLIF and Central City Brewers ($80)
Tuesday, June 1: Cycling for Everyone
Daily prize: Two passes to Scandinave Spa Whistler
- 9:30 AM - 10:00 AM: Pop up 30 (cardio) yoga class with STRETCH Yoga Where: Check back soon for registration link Win: STRETCH Yoga free online yoga class
- 11:00 AM: Buying a bike by Dunbar Cycles. Where: Facebook Win: A prize from Dunbar Cycles (TBD)
- 12:00 - 1:00 PM: Lunchtime webinar from HUB Cycling’s Membership Team with panel members from the Spinal Cord Injury BC and BC Handcycling Association Win: Prize from Translink (TBD) and a prize pack from CLIF and Central City Brewers ($80)
- 2:00 PM: Short video from Building Caring Communities and Suzie Cycles Where: Facebook. Win: TBD
Wednesday, June 2: Wellness Wednesday
Daily prize: Wellness Pack (physio, massage therapy, and bike fit) from Allan McGavin Sports Medicine Clinic
- 10:00 AM: Bike fit tips from Midori - Allan McGavin Sports Medicine Clinic. Make sure to tune in later today at 2 PM on Facebook Live to get your questions answered from Midori in real-time Where: Facebook Win: Comment to get an extra entry towards Wednesday’s daily prize draw - a wellness pack from Allan McGavin Sports Medicine Clinic
- 11:00 AM: How to lock your bike by Dunbar Cycles. Where: Facebook Win: Prize from Dunbar Cycles (TBD)
- 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM : Lunchtime webinar - Cycling for the mind and body Where: Facebook Win: Prize TBD
- 2:00 - 2:30 PM: Live Q&A with Midori - Allan McGavin Sports Medicine Clinic Where: Facebook Live Win: Comment to get an extra entry towards Wednesday’s daily prize draw - a wellness pack from Allan McGavin Sports Medicine Clinic
Thursday, June 3: Metro Vancouver Cycling Community
Daily prize: $250 gift card to Park Royal
- 9:30 AM - 10:00 AM: Pop up 20 (core) yoga class with STRETCH Yoga Where: Check back soon for registration link Win: Prize from STRETCH Yoga (TBD)
- 11:00 AM: Helmets! How to wear one and how to pick one by Dunbar Cycles. Where: Facebook Win: Prize from Dunbar Cycles (TBD)
- 12:00 - 1:00 PM: Lunchtime webinar - Membership sponsored - TBD Win: Prize TBD
Friday, June 4: The Future of Cycling
Daily prize: $250 gift card to Dunbar Cycles
- 10:00 AM: Bike Reels Video from 2020 Where: Facebook Win: Comment to win (prize TBD)
- 11:00 AM: E-bikes by Dunbar Cycles Where: Facebook Win: Prize from Dunbar Cycles (TBD)
- 12:00 - 1:00 PM: Lunchtime webinar from HUB Cycling’s Bike Education Team with panel members from Dunbar Cycles and more Win: Prize from Translink (TBD) and prize pack from CLIF and Central City Brewers ($80)
Sat, June 5 & Sun, June 6: Keep on Riding
Weekend prize: TBD
- Weekend Schedule TBD
There are so many ways to win prizes this Go by Bike Week. To be eligible to win prizes, you must register and log a trip using the BTWW dashboard found here.
Register for the event and log a trip for a chance to win amazing prizes throughout the week!
- Monday - $250 gift card to Dunbar Cycles
- Tuesday - 2 bath passes to Scandinave Spa in Whistler
- Wednesday - Wellness pack to Allan McGavin Sports Medicine Clinic (includes a custom bike fit, 1x massage therapy, and 1x physiotherapy)
- Thursday - $250 gift card to Park Royal
- Friday - Kyanite Hoody from Arc'teryx
- Early bird prize - Register by May 7th for a chance to win a Kyanite Hoody from Arc'teryx
- Survey Prize - Complete the post-event survey to win
- Recruit the most number of riders and enter to win
- Prizes for the top-performing teams
Webinar Prize Draw
- Each webinar will have a prize draw for a participant.
How it Works and Spring 2021 Goals
It's fun, easy, and free to participate in Go by Bike Week. Here's how it works:
1. Register for Go by Bike Week. You can start a team, join a team, or register solo. If you registered in the past, you do not need to re-register - simply log in and record a trip after the official launch to be considered a participant. Note: Your team for Go by Bike Week in 2021 can be your workplace, family, household group, or challenge a group of friends!
2. Encourage your colleagues, family, or friends to join your team to win great prizes!
3. Log your trips to be entered to win more amazing prizes. Each day you log, you'll be entered into the daily giveaway for bikes, gear, and more! The more times you log a trip, the greater your chances of winning the daily prize!
The goals of May's Go by Bike Week event are to:
1) Encourage people to choose cycling as their commute mode of choice and cycle safely when returning to the workplace or continuing to work from home.
2) Encourage workplaces to support employees to cycle to work. Cycling is a great way to promote employee health and wellness during these difficult times.
3) Support our local communities as we ‘restart’ B.C.’s economy and continue to push for more sustainable and active modes of transportation
Spread the Word and Media
Spread the word about Go by Bike Week!
Check back to find sample media and messaging you can use to spread the word on Go by Bike Week.
We recommend adding the URL 'btww.ca' to the image in your email signature so that when this is clicked from someone's email signature, it takes you directly to the registration page.
Team Leader Resources
Do you love cycling and want to encourage others to try biking during their daily commute? Consider becoming a Team Leader this year! Team Leaders help us make Go by Bike Week a success. Thank you to the over 1,000 Team Leaders in Metro Vancouver that helped us reach almost 7,000 registrants last year - let's see how many people we can get cycling in 2021!
Here are our top tips from the 2020 Bike to Work Week on how you can encourage your teammates to get involved.
Team leader guidance
Other resources available:
Understanding your dashboard
If you're already a Team Leader and want some help understanding your Team Dashboard, check out this video.
Email Template for Colleagues/Friends/Family:
Go by Bike Week is just around the corner from May 31 - June 6, and we're looking to build our largest team to be recognized across Metro Vancouver! Here are three easy steps to register for (your team name)
Go to the Go by Bike Week Registration Page
Select: 'I am a Rider'
Select: 'Join an existing Team.'
Simply type in your team name and join in on the fun this spring!
Get Involved and Volunteer
Sponsorship and Supporting - We would love your organization or business to get involved in Go by Bike Week. We have a range of opportunities for you.
Volunteers - Thank you to everyone who volunteered with us at Bike to Work Week in 2020! If you are interested in volunteering in 2021, please sign up for alerts on our Volunteer page or email us at email@example.com.
1. What are the benefits of participating in Go by Bike Week?
There are so many reasons to go by bike!
- It's fun
- It's great for your health and keeps you active.
- It helps save you money.
- It helps reduce air pollution and congestion.
- It's great for workplace comradery.
- There are tons of great prizes to win.
- The data we collect from the event helps to make biking better in Metro Vancouver.
2. What kind of trips can I log?
Pretty much anytime you have to lock your bike! or for 2021, anytime you hop on a training bike at home. But it should be on a bike - walking is great but doesn't count for this event :)
3. What if I'm retired / work from home / a student?
We still want you to join in on Go by Bike Week! As mentioned above, any time you use your bike for transportation, you can log that trip.
4. How do I become a Team Leader and register a new team?
Click here and register. After you enter your personal information, choose to register as a Team Leader.
5. I have an existing team on the website. Are we automatically registered for this event?
If you are already registered on the site, you must log a trip after our official launch date.
6. How do I modify the route that Google Maps has automatically created for me?
Once you have input your start and endpoint, you can try to customize your route if you like (but it's not always easy!). You don't have to do this, though - it's ok if your route isn't perfect -the system records only the total kilometres and number of trips.
- Click and drag any point on the purple directions line to any place on the map.
- Google Maps immediately re-creates the directions on both the map and the left panel.
- The point you added appears as a white dot on the route.
- Google Maps also updates the estimated travel time and distance.
- Move a destination by dragging a marker to another place on the map.
7. Can I automatically import my rides from another tracking app?
Unfortunately, our system does not support integrations with any distance tracking app (e.g. Strava, MapMyRun, Biko, etc.) at this point in time. If you're already using an app to track your distance, we recommend using the Quick Kilometre Log feature in your Dashboard to input your ride distance for each trip quickly. Our tool is the only one where your trips are communicated to decision-makers to show the demand for a fully connected, safe cycling network and better education and policies.
8. How do I change teams?
Sign in to your dashboard and click on "Change my Team." If you are a Team Leader, you will need to assign a new Team Leader before changing teams. Sign in to your dashboard and click on "Team Profile" to assign a new Team Leader. You will then become a rider and can click on "Change my Team."
9. How do I change the Team Leader?
Sign in to your dashboard and click on "Team Profile" to assign a new Team Leader.
10. Do I have to pay to register or be part of Go by Bike Week?
No, Bike to Work Week is entirely free for you! Thanks to our sponsors, we can offer this community and workplace event free of charge to everyone in Metro Vancouver.
11. How do you calculate GHG emissions?
"Kilograms of Greenhouse Gases Saved" is calculated based on an average vehicle size/model's emissions per kilometer driven. The formula used is 0.2168 Kilograms of Greenhouse Gases saved per Kilometre.
12. How do you calculate calories burned?
"Calories Burned" is calculated based on a very generic formula. Since you do not have to enter your weight when you register and your cycling speed when you log a trip, it is the average weight of males and females in the BC Population and calculated calories burned based on an average speed. The formula used is 30 calories burned per kilometer cycled.
Still have questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we'll be happy to help you!
Thank you to our 2021 Sponsors!