North Shore - North Vancouver & West Vancouver
Ride your bike in North Vancouver or West Vancouver? Interested in local cycling action, education, or events?
Attend your local HUB committee meeting to see what's happening. All are welcome - no experience required!
Join our mailing list via groups.io to get regular updates, follow the public discussion about cycling on the North Shore, and have your say.
HUB Cycling views the diversity of our members and communities as assets and strive to create and sustain a diverse and culturally competent organization that reflects the populations we serve. This is central to our mission, “to get more people cycling more often” and to our ongoing efforts to remove barriers to cycling.
Facebook: North Shore Cycling Community
Please note that the committee currently meets online due to COVID-19. See below for details.
Monthly on 1st Thursday, 6:30-8:30 pm
Location: Online, see meetings page for details
The City and District of North Vancouver, District of West Vancouver, and TransLink have created maps of the cycling networks on the North Shore to help all cyclists navigate safely and comfortably on their bikes. These maps are updated regularly to provide current information on cycling and show the comfort levels of each route based on how separated it is from traffic. PDF versions of the maps for North Vancouver & West Vancouver are available at the links below. Cycling maps for other Metro Vancouver municipalities are available at bikehub.ca/maps.
- TransLink North Shore Map (including Bowen Island) (PDF, Updated Feb 2021)
- North Shore Cycling Map (PDF, Updated May 2020)
- Bike routes on District streets (dnv.org)
Cycling 'Hot Spots' on the North Shore
As part of HUB's State of Cycling project, BikeMaps.org produced a series of maps highlighting conflict areas for cyclists across Metro Vancouver. See the map for 'hot spots' on the North Shore. Please note that these maps show conflicts, but don't account for ridership levels. You can log conflicts/crashes and near misses on BikeMaps.org. Help improve cycling infrastructure and close 'gaps' by getting involved with HUB's work in your area. See details above for the North Shore Local Committee. Special thanks to BikeMaps.org for all their help and assistance in producing these maps.
- Ironworkers Memorial Bridge access improvements
- Protected bike network in the District of North Vancouver
- Safe design of the City of North Vancouver AAA bike network
- Safe bike routes to schools
- Protected bike lanes with new Lower Lynn highway interchanges
- Safe design of Spirit Trail
- Reopening Upper Levels Hwy - 3rd Street connection in West Vancouver Bike route north of Upper Levels Hwy (Capilano River bridge to 3rd Street)
- Cycling wayfinding signage across the North Shore
- Participation in the implementation of North Vancouver's Bicycle Master Plan and West Vancouver's Cycling Network Implementation Plan and Protected bike network in the District of North Vancouver
- New Keith Bridge cycling facilities (District of North Vancouver, 2016)
- Barrow-Main path to Ironworkers Memorial Bridge (District of North Vancouver, 2016)
- Ironworkers Memorial Bridge sidewalk widening (2015)
- Spirit Trail overpass on 3rd St E, between Heywood Srt. and Kennard Ave, and re-route west to St. Davids (City of North Vancouver, 2015)
- Bike lane and shared path at 3rd St/Forbes (City of North Vancouver, 2015)
- Protected/buffered bike lanes on one block of 13th St, between Lonsdale & Chesterfield (City of North Vancouver, 2015)
- Spirit Trail realignment at 13th St (West Vancouver, 2015)
- Improved connection to Hwy 1 at Keith Road (West Vancouver, 2015)
- Widening & resurfacing of the path connecting the Capilano Pacific Trail to the Hwy 1 bridge over the Capilano River (West Vancouver, 2015)
- All Ages & Abilities (AAA) bike networks planned for Lions Gate, Lynn Valley Town Centre (District of North Vancouver, 2015)
- City of North Vancouver planning for AAA bike network (2014)
- Bike lanes on Low Level Road (City of North Vancouver, 2014)
- Fingerboard wayfinding signs installed all along on the Spirit Trail (North Shore, 2014)
- Improved access to Pemberton Heights and Westview from Capilano Rd (2012)
- Improvements to southbound approaches to the Lions Gate Bridge and West Vancouver (2011)
- Lions Gate Bridge sidewalk widening (2002)