Learn2Ride Online is a free web-based course that helps children ages 9-12 yrs learn about basic cycling safety. This online course is based on HUB Cycling’s Learn2Ride program, an in-school course that has been completed by over 25,000 Metro Vancouver students. With in-school learning changing in the last few years, Learn2Ride Online helps youth and their families learn skills to cycle safely and confidently around their neighbourhood.
Learn2Ride Online is hosted on the popular education platform, Moodle. The course has been developed in collaboration with TransLink and the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure and is offered free of cost to public schools and residents of British Columbia.
Designed for those 9-12 years old, it covers:
- Parts of the Bicycle
- ABC Quick Check
- Locking a Bicycle
- Helmet and Safety Gear
- ABCs of Bike Safety: Awareness, Behaviour & Communication
It can be completed at home or at school, at any time, from any computer or device with an internet connection. The content has been kept straightforward and interactive in hopes of being a self-guided resource for young cyclists. Think: a Spot the Differences game teaching bike safety gear, and a Memory Game for road signs. It has been designed with a Grade 4-5 audience in mind, although we believe it could extend to older audiences up to Grade 7 and other beginner riders. We can also provide a teacher's guide with worksheets for teacher-led enrollments.
Parents of young cyclists see Register your Child below for how to gain free access to the course.
Teachers interested in enrolling your class see Register your Class below or contact us at email@example.com for no-cost group enrollment and associate teacher's guide.
Register your Child
BC Residents are invited to register their children in Learn2Ride Online. Here's how:
- Visit: https://education.bikehub.ca/login/signup.php? to create new account
- Choose a username (e.g., your email address, or child’s name without spaces in lowercase letters), enter child’s first and last name, contact email and city you live in. The username can only contain alphanumeric lowercase characters (letters and numbers), underscore (_), hyphen (-), period (.) or at symbol (@).
- Check and confirm your email address by clicking the link in the email (check your Spam/Junk folder for this confirmation email!). This will take you to the dashboard where you will need to enroll by clicking on the 'enroll in Learn2Ride Online course' link.
- Have your child complete the course, earn badges, and a certificate. Please ask them to complete the feedback activity to help us make the course better and access their certificate.
- To log back in after creating a username go to https://education.bikehub.ca/
- Get out riding and try some of the skills learned!
- Course displays best in Chrome or Safari browser on a computer or tablet.
- Your progress is tracked if you leave the course and login back in later.
- Check out our Frequently Asked Questions below.
- Still stuck? email firstname.lastname@example.org for support.
Register your Class
If you are a Grade 4, 5, 6 or 7 teacher in British Columbia and you would like to assign Learn2Ride Online to your class follow the steps below:
2.Complete the template with student’s names, school & class name, grade level and optional emails. Email completed template to email@example.com
3. We will respond by email when your students have been enrolled with further instructions.
For teachers in other communities outside of BC, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org regarding enrolling your class for a fee.
We hope your students can participate and support the growing demand for cycling education.
Preview the Course
Screenshots from the course:
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there a cost to enroll in the course?
No, currently the course is provided to BC residents free of cost. However, HUB Cycling does incur costs for each user that enrolls, and so if you can, consider donating to help more children gain access to Learn2Ride Online.
I’m having trouble gaining access to the course, help?
If you haven't received your confirmation email, please check your Junk/Spam folder or search for an email from the domain @education.bikehub.ca
Still having problems? Email email@example.com with your child’s first & last name, and the city you live in and we will register you and send you the link for access.
Do I have to download anything or install an App?
No, we recommend accessing the course through a Chrome or Safari browser on a computer or tablet. While the course is available through smartphone browsers, some activities may be harder to complete on smaller screens.
How long do I have to work on the course?
Generally, you have up to 1 year to complete the course before your enrollment expires.
How long does it take to complete the course?
We estimate it will take youth around 1 hr to complete. You can complete it over a few sessions and your progress will be tracked by login back in each time.
I am an adult beginner rider, can I take this course?
Spread the Word
Do you know someone who would benefit from taking our Learn2Ride online course? Check out our partner social media kit (PDF) for sample social media posts and graphics and help us spread the word about Learn2Ride Online!
Thank you for your support!
Want to receive event updates? Subscribe to our Cycling Education Newsletter here.
Thank you to our generous Learn2Ride Online Funders!
Your generosity means the world to us. In 2020, the support from our donors allowed us to reallocate under-utilized road space, launch the Streets for People initiative and the free Learn2Ride Online course for kids to name a few.
This is why we cannot and will not stop working to make cycling safer. Your contributions will help to build a more sustainable future for all.