Streets for People
In the context of pandemic restrictions and the need to make space for people to safely get outside and stay active, on May 11th 2020 the City of New Westminster Council passed the Streets for People in 2020 motion, directing staff to accelerate already planned reallocations of road space to support people walking, cycling, and socializing in their communities.
HUB Cycling staff, in collaboration with our New Westminster Local Committee volunteers and Happy City, reached out to the City of New Westminster Transportation Department offering our services to help with the Streets for People initiative. City staff engaged us to develop an implementation plan, deliver activation events to raise public awareness and support, engage with people to get their impressions and ideas, and evaluate the outcomes of the Streets for People in 2020 initiative.
HUB Cycling is hosting Activation events throughout the month of September. We welcome people who live, work or play in New Westminster to join us to learn about one or more of the City’s current road reallocation projects. They will be fun and informative, COVID-safe events.
Read our COVID-19 Protocols for In-Person Engagement to learn what HUB Cycling is doing, and what you can do, to stay safe while participating in our programs. All activations take place on the unceded territories of the Qayqayt First Nation and traditional territories of Coast Salish peoples.
ACTIVATIONS: DETAILS AND REGISTRATION
Streets for People Pop-ups
HUB and Happy City will be on-site at 4 different locations between with family-friendly and wheelchair accessible games, free bike safety checks, info about Streets for People and opportunities to win prizes. Stop by to get your chain oiled or just say hi and enter to win a $150 gift card from your choice of a local shop in New Westminster! Thanks to the City of New Westminster for this generous prize!
- Monday, September 28th | 3-5pm @ McInness Overpass
- Friday, October 2nd | 3-5pm @ 9th Street between 4th Ave and Kennedy
- Wednesday, October 7th @ 6th and 6th
Accessibility at the Streets for People Pop-Ups
Monday, September 28th | 3-5pm @ McInness Overpass
- The activation will be set up on a flat section of grass next to the street. There is a curb cut to access this grass. Unfortunately, we are not aware of accessibile washroom facilities near the site. If you have questions or need support with accessibility or anything else, please don't hesistate to reach out to any of our staff and volunteers.
Friday, October 2nd | 3-5pm @ 9th Street between 4th and Kennedy
- Accessible washrooms are located three blocks away at Starbucks and Tim Horton's. The intersection where the event is taking place includes paved streets and sidewalks. It has curb cuts on all four sides. There are calm green spaces adjacent to event sites.
Wednesday, October 7th @ 6th and 6th
- Accessible washrooms are located within one block of the site at Tim Horton's and Starbucks. The intersection where the event is taking place includes paved streets and sidewalks. It has curb cuts on all four sides.
Family StreetWise courses are tailored to elementary and middle school children (aged 8-14) and their families. These courses provide the opportunity for you to learn about traffic safety and build road safety skills and confidence in a fun environment together! All courses teach theoretical and practical on-bike skills, and finish with a group neighbourhood road ride.
Saturday, October 3rd, 1 - 4pm at Queen's Park.
Saturday, October 10th, 1 - 4pm at Hume Park
Shop Local Challenge
It's more important than ever to support local retailers and sustainable transportation. Be part of the Shop Local Challenge to show your support! On Friday, October 9th and Saturday, October 10th, local businesses are offering free goodies to participants that register free and get there by bicycle, transit, foot or wheelchair. Stop by for a free snack, drink and more!
By registering FREE, you will gain:
- Access to the Shop Local Challenge and free giveaways *just show your registration confirmation*
- Entry to win $150 to your favourite New West local business
- Showing your support of local businesses and New West's Streets for People initiative
Register for the Shop Local Challange on Friday, October 9th and Saturday, October 10th!
If you don't have the resources to register online, please get in touch with us at email@example.com for support.
More info on participating businesses coming soon!
Walk, Wheel, Roll Self-Guided Tours
From Friday, September 25 to Monday, October 12, get to know your city a little better on foot or by walking, wheeling, or rolling! In support of the Streets for People in 2020 project, the City of New Westminster, HUB Cycling, and other location partners have teamed up to provide a family-friendly self-guided tour highlighting 10 points of interest around town.