The 2021 HUB Cycling Bike Awards is a celebration of organizations and individuals that are making biking better across Metro Vancouver. This year, the 8th annual Bike Awards returned in a new, virtual format, and was free for everyone to attend!
Metro Vancouver’s cycle lanes and bike shops have never been busier in 2020, and the cycling community’s resilience to change and challenges brought by COVID-19 has shone through in countless ways. Now in its eighth year, our virtual ceremony will award those that achieved great things for cycling over 2020, while also showcasing, and profiling personal stories and successes. Join us!
MISS THE SHOW?
Did you miss the live show? No worries! You can watch back the award show at anytime on Facebook here or by clicking one of the images below (1 hr. 15 min. runtime).
The event was streamed on Facebook Live, allowing everyone to participate remotely across Metro Vancouver.
Tune in to join us in the Welcoming Ceremony provided by Elder xwasteniya (Ruth Mary Adams) from the Tsawwassen First Nation and see the winners announced live!
The MC for the evening is Uytae Lee. Uytae is the founder of About Here, a YouTube channel dedicated to making videos that engage the public on urban planning issues in Vancouver. He's currently working as a video columnist with the CBC.
NEW THIS YEAR
- Everyone is invited! No longer exclusive to just members or award winners.
- Opportunity to win a Watch Party Kit to enjoy during the awards. Watch our social channels for more details.
- Member videos
- People’s Choice Award: Category for Bike Shops, Organizations, and Individuals
- Celebrate the achievements of the cycling community throughout a challenging year
- Connect with the cycling community
- Find out what Metro Vancouver is doing to support cycling
- Support HUB Cycling in our effort to get more people on bikes. The more people that join, the stronger our voice when we advocate for safer bike infrastructure
- Watch Party Kits: Register, comment and like our Facebook or Instagram post before February 5 for a chance to win a swag bag from CLIF (toque, water bottle and their infamous CLIF bars) and a 4-pack of non-alcoholic beer (2 IPA's and 2 Pilsner's) + $20 gift card from Central City Brewers. Winners: Jadamba Hamilton, Minnie Loo, Lorna Seifried, Paulette Turcotte and Angela Jarvis.
- Early Bird Prize: Register before February 12 and you'll be entered to win a $200 gift card to Rad Power Bikes. Winner: Carly Johansson.
- Participation Prize: Register by 3pm on February 22nd and comment during our event for a chance to win one of two wellness packs from Allan McGavin Sports Medicine Clinic - worth $470 each (includes a massage, physio and bike fit)
- Virtual Door Prize: Watch and comment during the event to win one of five Scarf and toque sets from the TransLink store
- Don't have a Facebook account to comment? Enter the Participation Prize and Virtual Door Prize by filling out this quick survey
We're using green electricity to power the event! Our supporter, Bullfrog Power, uses generators that put clean, renewable electricity into the grid to match the amount of conventional electricity this event uses. Across Canada, Bullfrog's green electricity comes from a blend of wind and low-impact hydro power sourced from new Canadian renewable energy facilities. Even though this event is online, we can still make sure it’s using green electricity! Bullfrog Power will put the equivalent amount of electricity onto the grid to match the amount of power used by the computers of all attendees and presenters for the duration of the event.
People's Choice Award
Nominations are now closed.
New this year, HUB Cycling is thrilled to present the People’s Choice Award to recognize individuals and organizations that have been spearheading achievements in the cycling community over 2020.
Nominate a Bike Shop, Individual, and Businesses or Organizations that you think deserves this award. Winners will be announced at the eighth annual virtual Bike Awards in February 2021
You can nominate yourself or someone else. Every nomination goes in the draw to win a $100 voucher to Ryders Eyewear. Congratulations to John Leung, Gord Sarkissian and Frank Miller on winning the draw!
Share your nominees on social media by tagging #HUBBikeAwards #PeoplesChoice.
The nomination period ends midnight January 11, 2021. One nomination per email per category.
HUB Cycling could not put on our events without the generous support of our sponsors. If you are interested in sponsoring our 2021 Virtual Bike Awards, please email Madeleine at email@example.com.
Spread the Word
Check out our media kit to help us spread the word about the Bike Awards!
Check out the winners from the February 2021 Bike Awards which recognizised those that made an outstanding commitment to improving biking across Metro Vancouver in 2020.
Check out the winners from the February 2020 Bike Awards which recognizised those that made an outstanding commitment to improving biking across Metro Vancouver in 2019.
February 2020 Bike Awards Photo Gallery
Arno Schortinghuis Lifetime Achievement Award
HUB Cycling is honoured to be able to name a Lifetime Achievement Award after Arno Schortinghuis, memorializing his lifetime of dedication to improving cycling conditions and bettering people’s lives. This award will recognize a lifetime of cycling achievement.
In 2019, we were very pleased to present the award to an individual that lived cycling personally and politically, making a huge and lasting impact on cycling in Vancouver. Moving past the fears and carmageddon calls from so many, to show leadership and approve and build the largest outlay of protected cycle lanes in the city’s history.
We are proud to present the first annual Arno Schortinghuis Lifetime Achievement Award at our 6th Annual HUB Bike Awards to Gregor Robertson.
The Arno Schortinghuis Lifetime Achievement Award was not given out at the 7th Annual HUB Bike Awards.
Thank You to Our Sponsors!
Thank You to Our Supporters!