Bike the Night.. The biggest party on two wheels is back
Thanks so much for biking the night with us and nearly 5,000 other community members. It was a blast!
By participating you also helped support HUB Cycling's efforts to advocate for more bike events and better cycling infrastructure.
View details from our 2019 event below... 2020 event details coming soon!
Prices and Contests
- Youth 16 and under ride free
- Additional 25% off for HUB members
- You must have a wristband to win prizes and ride in the event
- Join us at Sunset Beach at 6pm for a pre-ride festival
- Enjoy music, simple bike fixes from MEC, food trucks, games, and tons of giveaways
- Costumes are encouraged! Plan a group costume with friends or family for extra points
- Outfit your ride with lights, reflectors, and stickers, the brighter, the better
- Check out the Sunset Beach Actvation Map (PDF)!
What does registration include?
- A car-free, on-street ride through the City's most iconic streets
- Bamboo wristband that will allow you to participant in the ride and to win prizes at the event
- A shot at winning our grand prize - a $500 gift card to MEC if you register by September 6th.
- Entry to our pre-ride festival at Sunset Beach which includes music, quick bike tune-ups, food trucks, games and tons of giveaways
- 10% of at MEC Vancouver on Thursday, September 5th if you pick up your wristband in store
- Free 24 hour pass from Mobi by Shaw Go bike share for the event
- 20% off Monkeylectric lights
- Relief vehicles if you are unable to complete the ride
- On road mechanical support during the ride
- 10% off core beers at BREWHALL after the ride
- a very special deal $$$ at Off The Rail Brewing after the ride
- 15% off at Electric Bicycle Brewing after the ride
- By signing up to ride you are supporting HUB Cycling, a registered charity that has been working for over 20 years to make biking better in Metro Vancouver
Register for Bike the Night presented by MEC by September 6th and you'll be in the running to win $500 to spend at MEC!
Early Bird Prize 3
Congratulations to Vanessa Blair for winning a set of Monkeylectric lights. Thanks for registering early!
Early Bird Prize 2
Early Bird Prize 1
Congratulations to Samantha Choo for winning the Two Wheel Gear Pannier early bird prize!
What's the route?
- The ride will start and end at our pre-ride festival at Sunset Beach at 6pm
- 7:45PM: Start time for slower riders and families
- 8:00PM: Start time for all other riders
- The ride is suitable for all ages and abilities and will be on street!
Where and when do I pick up my participant wristband?
1. Thursday, September 5th @ MEC Vancouver Store (130 West Broadway) | 1pm - 9pm
- Score 10% off in store at MEC when you show your wristband to the cashier
- Skip the lines at the event and pick up your package early
2. Saturday, September 7th @ Sunset Beach | 6pm-7:30pm
Road Closures and Detour Information
Notification letters were mailed to 25,000 residents in the surrounding area.
Beach Ave (Jervis to Granville) - 4pm to 9:30pm (Resident access only)
Pacific Blvd (Bute to Quebec) - 7:15pm to 9:30pm (Resident access via Richards and Davie)
Quebec (1st to Keefer) - 7:15pm to 8:30pm (Resident access maintained via controlled crossing on Manitoba)
1st (Quebec to Cambie) - 7:30pm - 9:00pm (Westbound lanes only - access to Athlete's Village maintained via Manitoba)
6th Ave (Ash to Alder Crossing) - 7:30pm - 9:00pm (Westbound lanes only - resident access maintained via Moberly Rd Crossing)
Lamey's Mill Rd (Alder Crossing to Anderson) - 7:30pm - 9:30
2nd Ave (Anderson to Burrard) - 7:30pm - 9:30pm (Granville Island access maintained with Anderson Crossing and resident access maintained via Fir St Crossing)
Burrard Bridge - 7:15pm - 9:30pm
Email email@example.com with any questions or call 604-558-2002 on the night of the event.
More photos from the event
How can I support this cause?
Sponsorship and Engagement
For more information on sponsorship and engagement opportunities please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Help Make Biking Better
This is a celebration but also a cause! By signing up to ride, you are helping us show decision makers that community members want to bike. Evidence like this can lead to improved bike infrastructure and more bike events.
Share the event!
I want to volunteer
Thank you to every volunteer who helped at Bike the Night 2019.
How do I get the reduced ticket price?
There are a few ways to score discounted or free tickets.
1. If you are 16 or younger.. you ride free!
2. It's more fun with a crew! Grab 9 friends, family or colleagues to join you and you'll be eligible for our group ticket discount of 25%. Email email@example.com to register or learn more!
3. HUB Members also get 25% off Bike the Night tickets and much, much more. Join HUB as a member and help make Metro Vancouver a safer and better place to cycle. You'll be joining a rad community and will get great benefits including discounts at over 40 bike and gear shops, deals on car and bike sharing, and invites to fun events throughout the year.
What about the weather?
If it’s nice out, we bike the night. If it’s sprinkling, we bike the night, if it’s raining… you better believe we bike the night! MEC has got you covered for whatever Vancouver throws at you.
Is this event family friendly?
Definitely! The route will be accessible for people of all ages and abilities. Plus children and youth 16 and under are free!
What if I don't have a bike?
Mobi by Shaw Go, will be offering free 24-hour bike share passes to all registered participants. To redeem this offer, please carefully read the instructions below:
- In order to ride with Mobi by Shaw Go, participants will need to create an account. You can do this by clicking 'Sign Up' on their website or by using the Mobi by Shaw Go app on your Apple or Android smartphone. This can be done in advance or on Saturday when purchasing your pass.
- The promo code is in your registration email or will be provided at the event if you register in person.
- When choosing a pass option make sure it is the 24 Hour Pass. The promo code for the 24 Hour Pass will only work on Saturday, September 7th. We will have a limited number of bikes at the event so you're encouraged to arrive with a Mobi by Shaw Go bike rented from one of the stations in the surrounding area. Once on-site, please visit the Mobi by Shaw Go booth and give them your account email so any overages you incur between 5 pm and 11 pm can be waived. They'll be easy to locate - just look for the blue tent.
- When you finish the ride, you are responsible for finding a dock to end your ride. Wait for the bike to display "Return OK" and listen for a single beep. If any riders do not end their ride properly, the timer will not stop and any overages you experience after 11 pm will not be refunded.
Map of Mobi Stations - Find more info at Mobi by Shaw Go
Tips for a safe ride
- No alcoholic beverages are to be consumed while riding or at event sites
- Leave no trace – dispose of your trash responsibly in the bins provided. We want to host this event again next year!
- Stay hydrated! Bring a refillable water bottle, we will have a water station on site for you to fill up and reduce waste!
- Control your speed and ride at a leisurely pace (this is not a race) and be prepared to slow down or stop for congestion, road hazards or to allow transit to cross through major arterials areas. Do not pass the lead marshals of the ride
- Please ensure your bike is equipped with at least one white front light and one red back light as well as a back red reflector
- Use hand signals to indicate that you are stopping or turning
- Move completely off the road or path if stopping for any reason
- Do not ride against the flow of people on bikes
- Maintain adequate distance between yourself and other people on bikes
- Keep at least one hand on the handlebars at all times
- Be prepared to stop at select intersections indicated by ride marshalls
- Have fun!
Be prepared in the unfortunate case of an incident on your bike, or when encountering a dangerous situation on a bike route. Use these resources to better understand what to do and how to protect yourself. All Bike the Night participants will receive in their ride packages a wallet card containing important and useful information sponsored by David Hay, Q.C., of Richards Buell Sutton LLP.
Getting to the event
We encourage you to bike to the event or use public transportation. We've put together some tips on getting to the event.
Bringing your bike with you on Transit
How do I light up my bike?
You can't #BikeTheNight without lights! Please ensure your bike is equipped with at least one white front light and one red back light as well as a back red reflector. You can see some of our favs from our friends at MEC.
We also encourage you to get creative! See some ideas here.
SpokeLit Rechargeable Wheel Light - $25.99
Keep the party rolling with this spoke mounted light. Choose from 4 colours, or cycle through the colours for a 2-wheeled light show. Makes you more visible from the sides.
Keep the party rolling with this spoke mounted light. Choose from 6 colours, or cycle through the colours for a 2-wheeled light show. Makes you more visible from the sides
Nickel 60 USB Front Light - $12.00
This bright commuter light recharges from your computer, at home or at work. You can use it for added visibility even when riding in daylight, without worrying about running out of juice when it's dark.
Nickel USB Rear Light - $12.00
Small, easy to charge and bright: all great things in a bike light. This lightweight and small taillight solution is perfect for those who don't want or need a larger light.
Sphere 500 USB Front Light - $48.00
This bright light builds on MEC's compact USB-powered bike light line, keeping the small form factor and ease of use, but with 500 lumens at your disposal.
Apex 750 USB Front Light - $65.00
With a durable aluminum body and powerful 750-lumen output, this light is built ready for your ride.
Still have questions? Get in touch!
Contact us at 604-558-2002 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank You to Our Sponsors!
And Our Supporters!