Bike the Night.. The biggest party on two wheels is back
On Saturday, September 7th, join 5000 other people on bikes as we form a luminous parade through Vancouver's city streets. Pedal on car-free roads, explore some of the city's most iconic roads, and take in the sights after dusk. We'll be starting and ending at the one and only Sunset Beach.
Join by August 10th and you'll score 25% off our regular rate and have a shot at winning
$200 to Ryders Eyewear and a Monkeylectric light set.
Prices and Contests
- Youth 16 and under ride free
- Join by August 10th and you'll be entered to win $200 to Ryders and monkeylectric lights!
- Save 25% off our regular rate - $15 until August 10
- All participants entered to win our grand prize - a $500 gift card to MEC
- Additional 25% off for HUB members and groups (10+)
- Join us at Sunset Beach at 6pm for a pre-ride festival
- Enjoy music, simple bike fixes from MEC, food trucks, games, and tons of giveaways
- Costumes are encouraged! Plan a group costume with friends or family for extra points
- Outfit your ride with lights, reflectors, and stickers, the brighter, the better
FAQ'S & OTHER INFO
What does registration include?
- A car-free, on-street ride through the City's most iconic streets
- A shot at winning our grand prize - a $500 gift card to MEC
- Join by August 10th and you'll be entered to win $200 to Ryders and a set of automatic monkeylectric lights
- Entry to our pre-ride festival at Sunset Beach which includes music, quick bike tune-ups, food trucks, games and tons of giveaways
- Free 24 hour pass from Mobi by Shaw Go bike share for the event
- 20% off Monkeylectric lights
- Relief vehicles if you are unable to complete the ride
- On road mechanical support during the ride
- By signing up to ride you are supporting HUB Cycling, a registered charity that has been working for over 20 years to make biking better in Metro Vancouver
Register for Bike the Night presented by MEC and you'll be in the running to win $500 to spend at MEC!
Early Bird Prize
Early Bird Prize
Congratulations to Samantha Choo for winning the Two Wheel Gear Pannier early bird prize!
What's the route?
- The ride will start and end at our pre-ride festival at Sunset Beach at 6pm
- 7:45PM: Start time for slower riders and families
- 8:00PM: Start time for all other riders
- The ride is suitable for all ages and abilities and will be on street!
More photos from the event
How can I support this cause?
Sponsorship and Engagement
For more information on sponsorship and engagement opportunities please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Help Make Biking Better
This is a celebration but also a cause! By signing up to ride, you are helping us show decision makers that community members want to bike. Evidence like this can lead to improved bike infrastructure and more bike events.
Share the event!
I want to volunteer
Looking to gain event experience? Volunteer for Bike the Night 2019 and be part of one of the most exciting bike events this year! We are looking for over 100 volunteers in a range of departments. There are roles in the weeks leading up to the event, during the pre-festival, and during the ride:
Pre event (August 15 - September 7)
- Promo Team
- Outreach and Marketing Coordinator
- Registration Package Pickup
During event (September 7)
- Set up and take down
- Registration Table
- Activation Support
- Cheer Squad
- Route Control
- Information team
- Sustainability Crew
- Bike Decoration Photography
See detailed role descriptions here, including what type of events experience you will gain and the detailed responsibilities. There are also Volunteer Champion positions for each department for those looking for leadership roles.
Keen? Apply for a role by filling in the Bike the Night Volunteer Application Form.
How do I get the reduced ticket price?
There are a few ways to score discounted or free tickets.
1. If you are 16 or younger.. you ride free!
2. It's more fun with a crew! Grab 9 friends, family or colleagues to join you and you'll be eligible for our group ticket discount of 25%. Email email@example.com to register or learn more!
3. HUB Members also get 25% off Bike the Night tickets and much, much more. Join HUB as a member and help make Metro Vancouver a safer and better place to cycle. You'll be joining a rad community and will get great benefits including discounts at over 40 bike and gear shops, deals on car and bike sharing, and invites to fun events throughout the year.
What about the weather?
If it’s nice out, we bike the night. If it’s sprinkling, we bike the night, if it’s raining… you better believe we bike the night! MEC has got you covered for whatever Vancouver throws at you.
Is this event family friendly?
Definitely! The route will be accessible for people of all ages and abilities. Plus children and youth 16 and under are free!
What if I don't have a bike?
Mobi by Shaw Go, will be offering free 24 hour bike share passes to all registered participants. The promo code will be in your confirmation email when you register.
Map of Mobi Stations - Find more info at Mobi by Shaw Go
Tips for a safe ride
- No alcoholic beverages are to be consumed while riding or at event sites
- Leave no trace – dispose of your trash responsibly in the bins provided. We want to host this event again next year!
- Stay hydrated! Bring a refillable water bottle, we will have a water station on site for you to fill up and reduce waste!
- Control your speed and ride at a leisurely pace (this is not a race) and be prepared to slow down or stop for congestion, road hazards or to allow transit to cross through major arterials areas. Do not pass the lead marshals of the ride
- Please ensure your bike is equipped with at least one white front light and one red back light as well as a back red reflector
- Use hand signals to indicate that you are stopping or turning
- Move completely off the road or path if stopping for any reason
- Do not ride against the flow of people on bikes
- Maintain adequate distance between yourself and other people on bikes
- Keep at least one hand on the handlebars at all times
- Be prepared to stop at select intersections indicated by ride marshalls
- Have fun!
Be prepared in the unfortunate case of an incident on your bike, or when encountering a dangerous situation on a bike route. Use these resources to better understand what to do and how to protect yourself. All Bike the Night participants will receive in their ride packages a wallet card containing important and useful information sponsored by David Hay, Q.C., of Richards Buell Sutton LLP.
What are the best lights to use?
You can not bike the night without lights! Here are some of our favourites from MEC.
SpokeLit LED Wheel Light Disc-O Select
Keep the party rolling with this spoke mounted light. Choose from 6 colours, or cycle through the colours for a 2-wheeled light show. Makes you more visible from the sides.
Tire Sparx LED Valve Stem Lights
Motion activated valve stem lights that are sure to catch the attention of the most dazed drivers on the road.
This bright commuter light recharges from your computer, at home or at work. You can use it for added visibility even when riding in daylight, without worrying about running out of juice when it's dark.
This small light has a single white LED that burns for 100s of hours. Great to have on hand to deal with power outages or to make yourself more visible as a pedestrian or cyclist.
MEC Galaxy Dual USB Red/White Light
This compact little light fits in a pocket. It works as a front or rear light and charges in a couple of hours stuck in a USB port.
Still have questions? Get in touch!
Contact us at 604-558-2002 or firstname.lastname@example.org