Bike the Night Presented by MEC
Be part of the largest night ride in BC. Our city streets will be opened so that thousands of riders can experience Vancouver’s most iconic roadways after dark. Deck out your bike in lights and spread good cycling vibes with over 5000 other riders of all ages on this 10 kilometre slow roll.
Signing up to ride supports HUB Cycling, a registered charity that has been working for 20 years to remove barriers to cycling and improve our communities, our health and our environment. Registration also includes entry to our pre-party with a DJ, free bike tune-ups and decorating, food trucks, a kids zone, and tons of awesome giveaways. You'll also be entered to win our grand prize!
Saturday, September 15th
Pre-party at Concord Pacific Place at 6pm / Ride starts at 8pm!
- One entry to win the grand prize MEC Origami LTD Folding Bicycle
- 10% discount at MEC Vancouver store if you take advantage of our pre-ride package pickup on either Thursday, September 13th or Friday, September 14th
- Entry to our pre-party which includes live music, simple bike fixes from MEC, bike decorating, food trucks, a kids' zone, games and tons of awesome giveaways
- One entry to win a Garment Pannier courtesy of Two Wheel Gear when you register before August 31st
- A relaxed and colourful 10km ride through car-free Vancouver streets
- Support of HUB Cycling, a registered charity that has been working for 20 years to make biking better in Metro Vancouver.
Photos by @jasminesallaycarrington
Check out more photos here.
|Rate||Dates||HUB Member Price||Non Member Price||HUB Membership + Ticket|
|Launch Rate||Until June 4||$5||$10||$25|
|Early Bird Rate||Jun 5 - Aug 31||$7.50||$15||$37.50|
|Regular Rate||Sept 1 - Sept 14||$10||$20||$40|
|Last Minute Rate||Sept 15||$25||$25||$55|
|Children 16 and under are free|
Register with our Early Bird Rate before August 31st and you will be entered to win a Garment Pannier courtesy of Two Wheel Gear when you register before August 31st.
Get your family, friends, and colleagues together. Groups of 10 or more receive our special member early bird rate. Only $7.50 each until August 31st. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
1. How do I get involved?
SPONSORSHIP AND ENGAGEMENT
For more information on sponsorship and engagement opportunities please email email@example.com
HELP MAKE BIKING BETTER
This is a celebration but also a cause! By signing up to ride, you are helping us show decision makers that community members want to bike. Evidence like this can lead to improved bike infrastructure and more bike events.
Help us share the event!
2. Volunteer Information
Looking to gain event experience? Volunteer for Bike the Night 2018 and be part of one of the most exciting bike events this year! Join an awesome community and celebrate with us at the volunteer appreciation party.
VOLUNTEER POSITIONS LEADING UP TO BIKE THE NIGHT
- Promotion Team: Help distribute flyers and posters to bike shops, stores, and community centres in Vancouver! Volunteers will be in teams of two or more and will bike around Vancouver to promote the event from August 27 - 31.
- Registration Package Pick Up Team: Working on a team of 6, help us with participant ride package pick up at MEC Vancouver Store from 5:30-8:30pm on Thursday, September 13 and Friday, September 14.
VOLUNTEER POSITIONS AT BIKE THE NIGHT (SEPT 15)
- Set Up Team: Help set up the event in the day and then enjoy the night ride
- Registration Crew: Help welcome and register guests
- Route Control and Cheer Squad: Gain experience with route operations and help mark the ride route, guide people during the ride, and cheer people on
- Information Team: Talk to all the excited participants and help answer questions
- Sustainability Crew: Help us make sure we leave no trace! you can help at the pre-party and/or following the riders on bike!
- Bike Decoration Tent: Help participants and kids decorate their bikes
- Photographers: Take pictures at the pre-party and along the route
- Ride Marshals: Ride along particpiants and ensure everyone is safe on the ride
- Take Down Team: Enjoy the event and then help us clean up! We are always short on volunteers/staff for take down, your help would be so appreciated!
3. What is the location and timing of the event?
6pm-8pm: Pre-Party at Concord Pacific Place - Don't miss out on DJ's, food trucks, games, free bike tune-ups and decorating and tons of giveaways.
8pm: The ride will start from the pre-party!
The route is flat and will be a 10km loop around False Creek.
3. How do I get the reduced ticket price?
HUB Members get discounted Bike the Night tickets and much, much more. HUB Cycling is a membership based charity and relies on our members to do our work. Join HUB as a member and help make Metro Vancouver a safer and better place to cycle. As a member you also get great benefits including discounts at over 40 bike and gear shops, deals on car and bike sharing and invites to fun events throughout the year including Launch Parties, the Fall Fashion Show and the HUB Holiday Party. Join us!
Another great way to score discounted tickets is to Bike the Night with a crew! Grab 10 friends, family or colleagues and you'll be eligible for our group ticket rate - only $5 each until June 4th! Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
4. What does registration include?
- One entry to win our grand prize MEC Origami LTD folding bike!
- 10% discount at MEC Vancouver store if you take advantage of our pre-ride package pickup on either Thursday, September 13th or Friday, September 14th between 5:30pm-8:30pm
- Entry to our pre-party which includes live music, simple bike fixes from MEC, bike decorating, food trucks, a kids zone, games and tons of awesome giveaways
- A relaxed and colourful 10km ride through car-free downtown Vancouver streets
- By signing up to ride you are supporting HUB Cycling, a registered charity that has been working for 20 years to make biking better in Metro Vancouver. The more people that sign up that stronger our voice when we push for better conditions and more fun events for cyclists. You can also find out more about HUB Cycling and our programs on our website.
5. What about the weather?
If it’s nice out, we bike the night. If it’s sprinkling, we bike the night, if it’s raining… we bike the night! MEC has got you covered for whatever Vancouver throws at you.
6. Where is ride package pickup?
Take advantage of our pre-event package pick up and skip the line! Pick up your ride package at the MEC Vancouver store on Thursday, September 13th or Friday, September 14th between 5:30pm-8:30pm. When you pick up your package you will also receive a 10% discount at MEC - the perfect opportunity to gear up for the event! The discount is only valid for the day you pick your package.
If you aren't able to make pre-event package pick up, you can also pick up your ride package at the event on Saturday, September 15th between 6pm and 7:30pm. We advise to come early!
In order to pick up your registration package you will need to have signed our online waiver. If you purchased your ticket online you would have been required to sign the waiver. If someone else purchased tickets for you, you will need to sign the waiver before you can pick up your package. If you would like a friend to pick up your ride package, you will need to have signed the waiver.
7. Can I buy tickets on the day of the event?
Tickets can be purchased on the day of the event with any major credit card. We strongly recommend buying tickets in advance to avoid a line up, to get yourself the best ticket price and to score the 10% discount at MEC!
8. Is this an event for families?
Definitely! It is an easy and fairly flat 10 km route that is accessible for people of all ages and abilities. The ride should take approximately 45 minutes to an hour. Plus children and youth under 16 are free!
9. Tips for a safe ride
- No alcoholic beverages are to be consumed while riding or at event sites
- Leave no Trace – dispose of your trash responsibly in the bins provided. We want to host this event again next year!
- Stay hydrated! Bring a refillable water bottle, we will have a water station on site for you to fill up and reduce waste!
- Control your speed and ride at a leisurely pace (this is not a race) and be prepared to slow down or stop for congestion, road hazards or to allow transit to cross through major arterials areas. Do not pass the lead marshals of the ride
- Please ensure your bike is equipped with at least one white front light and one red back light as well as a back red reflector
- Use hand signals to indicate that you are stopping or turning
- Move completely off the road or path if stopping for any reason
- Do not ride against the flow of people on bikes
- Maintain adequate distance between yourself and other people on bikes
- Keep at least one hand on the handlebars at all times
- Be prepared to stop at select intersections indicated by ride marshalls
- Have fun!
Be prepared in the unfortunate case of an incident on your bike, or when encountering a dangerous situation on a bike route. Use these resources to better understand what to do and how to protect yourself. All Bike the Night participants will receive in their ride packages a wallet card containing important and useful information sponsored by David Hay, Q.C., of Richards Buell Sutton LLP.
Still have questions? Get in touch!
Contact us at 604-558-2002 or email@example.com