Bike the Night Presented by MEC
Thanks so much for biking the night with us and nearly 3500 community members! We decked out your bikes in lights and spread good cycling vibes across the city. We had a blast and we hope you did too.
By participating, you also helped support HUB Cycling's efforts to advocate for more bike events and better infrastructure. We can't thank you enough and we hope to see you again in 2019.
Check out more photos here.
|Rate||Dates||HUB Member Price||Non Member Price||HUB Membership + Ticket|
|Launch Rate||Until June 4||$5||$10||$25|
|Early Bird Rate||Jun 5 - Aug 31||$7.50||$15||$37.50|
|Regular Rate||Sept 1 - Sept 14||$10||$20||$40|
|Last Minute Rate||Sept 15||$25||$25||$55|
|Children 16 and under are free|
Groups of 10 or more receive our special member rate. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Bundle your ticket with a HUB Membership and get 50% off your ticket as well as great benefits like discounts at bike shops, deals on car sharing and invites to events.
1. How do I get involved?
SPONSORSHIP AND ENGAGEMENT
For more information on sponsorship and engagement opportunities please email email@example.com
HELP MAKE BIKING BETTER
This is a celebration but also a cause! By signing up to ride, you are helping us show decision makers that community members want to bike. Evidence like this can lead to improved bike infrastructure and more bike events.
Help us share the event!
2. Volunteer Information
Looking to gain event experience? Volunteer for Bike the Night 2018 and be part of one of the most exciting bike events this year! Join an awesome community and celebrate with us at the volunteer appreciation party.
VOLUNTEER POSITIONS LEADING UP TO BIKE THE NIGHT
- Promotion Team: Help distribute flyers and posters to bike shops, stores, and community centres in Vancouver! Volunteers will be in teams of two or more and will bike around Vancouver to promote the event from August 27 - 31.
- Registration Package Pick Up Team: Working on a team of 6, help us with participant ride package pick up at MEC Vancouver Store from 5:30-8:30pm on Thursday, September 13 and Friday, September 14.
VOLUNTEER POSITIONS AT BIKE THE NIGHT (SEPT 15)
- Set Up Team: Help set up the event in the day and then enjoy the night ride
- Registration Crew: Help welcome and register guests
- Route Control and Cheer Squad: Gain experience with route operations and help mark the ride route, guide people during the ride, and cheer people on
- Information Team: Talk to all the excited participants and help answer questions
- Sustainability Crew: Help us make sure we leave no trace! you can help at the pre-party and/or following the riders on bike!
- Bike Decoration Tent: Help participants and kids decorate their bikes
- Photographers: Take pictures at the pre-party and along the route
- Ride Marshals: Ride along particpiants and ensure everyone is safe on the ride
- Take Down Team: Enjoy the event and then help us clean up! We are always short on volunteers/staff for take down, your help would be so appreciated!
3. What was the route?
3. How do I get the reduced ticket price?
HUB Members get discounted Bike the Night tickets and much, much more. HUB Cycling is a membership based charity and relies on our members to do our work. Join HUB as a member and help make Metro Vancouver a safer and better place to cycle. As a member you also get great benefits including discounts at over 40 bike and gear shops, deals on car and bike sharing and invites to fun events throughout the year including Launch Parties, the Fall Fashion Show and the HUB Holiday Party. Join us!
Another great way to score discounted tickets is to Bike the Night with a crew! Grab 10 friends, family or colleagues and you'll be eligible for our group ticket rate. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
4. What did registration include?
- Wristband in your registration package so you can take part in the colourful, 10km night ride through Vancouver's car-free streets
- One entry to win our grand prize MEC Origami LTD folding bike!
- 10% discount at MEC Vancouver store if you take advantage of our pre-ride package pickup on either Thursday, September 13th or Friday, September 14th between 5:30pm-8:30pm
- Free 24 hour pass from Mobi by Shaw Go for the event
- Entry to our pre-party which includes live music, simple bike fixes from MEC, bike decorating, food trucks, a kids zone, games and tons of awesome giveaways
- By signing up to ride you are supporting HUB Cycling, a registered charity that has been working for 20 years to make biking better in Metro Vancouver. The more people that sign up that stronger our voice when we push for better conditions and more fun events for cyclists. You can also find out more about HUB Cycling and our programs on our website.
5. What about the weather?
If it’s nice out, we bike the night. If it’s sprinkling, we bike the night, if it’s raining… you better believe we bike the night! MEC has got you covered for whatever Vancouver throws at you.
6. Is this an event for families?
Definitely! It is an easy and fairly flat 10 km route that is accessible for people of all ages and abilities. The ride should take approximately 45 minutes to an hour. Plus children and youth under 16 are free!
7. What if I don't have a bike?
Mobi by Shaw Go, generously offered free bicycle rentals at HUB Cycling's Bike the Night and gave free 24 hour passes to all registered participants.
List of Closest Mobi By Shaw Go Stations
- Carrall & Seawall
- Expo & Carall
- Creekside Park North
- Science World
- Station & National
- Ontario & Seawall
- Georgia & Main
- Keefer & Columbia
- Keefer & Abbott
- Dunsmuir & Beatty
Map of Mobi Stations - Find more info at Mobi by Shaw Go
8. Route Closure Information
9. Tips for a safe ride
- No alcoholic beverages are to be consumed while riding or at event sites
- Leave no Trace – dispose of your trash responsibly in the bins provided. We want to host this event again next year!
- Stay hydrated! Bring a refillable water bottle, we will have a water station on site for you to fill up and reduce waste!
- Control your speed and ride at a leisurely pace (this is not a race) and be prepared to slow down or stop for congestion, road hazards or to allow transit to cross through major arterials areas. Do not pass the lead marshals of the ride
- Please ensure your bike is equipped with at least one white front light and one red back light as well as a back red reflector
- Use hand signals to indicate that you are stopping or turning
- Move completely off the road or path if stopping for any reason
- Do not ride against the flow of people on bikes
- Maintain adequate distance between yourself and other people on bikes
- Keep at least one hand on the handlebars at all times
- Be prepared to stop at select intersections indicated by ride marshalls
- Have fun!
Be prepared in the unfortunate case of an incident on your bike, or when encountering a dangerous situation on a bike route. Use these resources to better understand what to do and how to protect yourself. All Bike the Night participants will receive in their ride packages a wallet card containing important and useful information sponsored by David Hay, Q.C., of Richards Buell Sutton LLP.
10. What are the best lights to use?
You can not bike the night without the lights! Here are some of our favourites from MEC.
SpokeLit LED Wheel Light Disc-O Select
Keep the party rolling with this spoke mounted light. Choose from 6 colours, or cycle through the colours for a 2-wheeled light show. Makes you more visible from the sides.
Tire Sparx LED Valve Stem Lights
Motion activated valve stem lights that are sure to catch the attention of the most dazed drivers on the road.
This bright commuter light recharges from your computer, at home or at work. You can use it for added visibility even when riding in daylight, without worrying about running out of juice when it's dark.
This small light has a single white LED that burns for 100s of hours. Great to have on hand to deal with power outages or to make yourself more visible as a pedestrian or cyclist.
MEC Galaxy Dual USB Red/White Light
This compact little light fits in a pocket. It works as a front or rear light and charges in a couple of hours stuck in a USB port.
Still have questions? Get in touch!
Contact us at 604-558-2002 or email@example.com