Bike Friendly Building Consulting & Certification
Bike Friendly Building Consulting and Certification supports developers, property managers, employers, and other stakeholders across Metro Vancouver by:
- Certifying and providing building assessments based on a set of expert standards
- Consulting on all aspects of bike infrastructure for planned and existing developments
- Delivering a professional report to inform building design and programming
- Analyzing sites to support municipal applications and other variances
- Awarding and recognizing leaders in cycling infrastructure
HUB Cycling is a member of the Urban Development Institute.
Fill out this Form for a Free Consultation!
Recent Project Updates
- PCI Developments has contracted HUB Cycling's Bike Friendly Building expertise to advise cycling-related elements of their rezoning application for a retail and rental building development adjacent to the Moody Centre SkyTrain.
- The BC First Nations Health Authority is engaging HUB Cycling's Bike Friendly Building services to advise design, equipment, and policies to encourage staff to cycle to their new Head Office building on Tsleil Waututh land on the North Shore.
- Bosa Properties is in the early planning stages of a major two-tower residential development on Barclay Street in the Downtown Peninsula. Bosa has engaged HUB Cycling's Bike Friendly Building services to advise all aspects of design for cycling facilities. The new facilities will be located on an entire floor at ground level, with a goal of reducing how many car parking spaces are needed.
- Intracorp has a goal for its rental residential development on Vanness Street in Vancouver to become a locus of cycling for the Joyce-Collingwood area. To achieve that goal, Intracorp has contracted HUB Cycling's Bike Friendly Building expertise to advise early planning for cycling facilities and local bike network connections.
- Vancouver Coastal Health contracted HUB Cycling to complete a Bike Friendly Building analysis of five main Vancouver General Hospital (VGH) buildings to increase cycling among VGH employees. HUB Cycling provided guidance on increasing parking capacities for diverse types of bicycles, and recommendations for improving access around the VGH site, which are now informing medium- and long-term planning by the health authority.
- Streetworks, the Hudson's Bay Company real estate arm has engaged HUB Cycling's Bike Friendly Building services to advise project design, including a two-floor active transportation (AT) hub to serve the broader central business district area. The BFB team will continue advising Streetworks in the coming months so the AT hub is an exciting and impactful community resource.
- The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) contracted HUB Cycling to assess and provide recommendations for improvements and expansion of cycling facilities at Children's and Women's Hospital. PHSA's goal is to make cycling more accessible and attractive to its employees. Based on our Bike Friendly Building team's recommendations, PHSA is installing additional bike parking in the short term and planning additional improvements over time.
- Hudson Pacific Properties completed major improvements to Bentall Centre including adding world-class cycling amenities, based on recommendations from a HUB Cycling Bike Friendly Buildings assessment. The project included a major expansion of bike parking, engaging aesthetics, and wayfinding resources in cycling areas, and fully automated doors and lighting to ease building access. See video of the completed design.
- Boffo Properties received HUB Cycling's support to develop exemplary cycling design and facilities for "The Smithe", a new condo building in Vancouver's Yaletown. See video of the completed design.
Tenant Attraction and Retention: Enhance sales and marketing profile.
Cost Savings: Save money on vehicle parking and construction maintenance.
Awards and Recognition: Receive awards and recognition that sets your building apart from others.
Corporate Social Responsibility: Build community trust and reduce your ecological footprint.
Innovative Design: Meet the evolving needs and demands of people who bike.
The Assessment Process
This Bike Friendly Building Certification and report provides comprehensive analysis and recommendations regarding all aspects of how a site facilitates and promotes cycling as a transportation option for building occupants and visitors. HUB Cycling provides information and guidance about how to make cycling a welcoming and rewarding way for building users to come and go, and how to ensure that cycling facilities are ready for the ongoing evolution of cycling and multi-modal transportation in years to come.
Step 1: Initiate
HUB Cycling's team of professional planners and cycling experts will meet with clients to discuss the scope of work and provide a quote for either certification, ongoing consulting or both.
Step 2: Gather Data
HUB Bike Friendly Building Specialists gather initial data and prepare an assessment framework based on client needs.
Step 3: Site Visit & Plan Review
Specialists conduct an on-site, targeted, points-based assessment of your building's cycling facilities, connections, communications, incentives, and culture. If your project is in the design phase, experts will review all available site plans.
Step 4: Analysis & Scoring
The HUB analysis uses bylaws, industry best practices and guidelines to assess the site for ease of access, quality and quantity of short and long term bike storage, wayfinding, cycling friendly policies and more.
The assessment results in a score, with digital badges provided for bronze to platinum achievements.
Step 5: Final Report & Recommendations
Clients receive recommendations for score improvement, a resource guide outlining best practices, and a profile in HUB's Bike Awards event.
Many clients retain HUB Cycling's services for ongoing improvements.
Not ready for a full certification? HUB Cycling offers hourly consulting services to provide expertise working with engineers, architects and other professionals in the rezoning and development application process and can provoide ongoing design consultation.
Fill out this Form for a Consultation!
Bike Friendly Building Clients Across Metro Vancouver:
Existing Development - Residential
Existing Development - Non-Residential
Our recent Bike Friendly Building Consulting Service clients include QuadReal Property Group, the Hudson Bay Company, Concert Properties, the New St Paul's Hospital, Wesbild Holdings, Boffo Developments, Hudson Pacific Properties, the New Westminster School District, and Park Royal Developments.
What Our Clients Say
" HUB Cycling has been a valued local partner, helping us create positive cycling experiences for Bentall Centre tenants and visitors."
- Chuck We, Senior Vice President, Western Canada at Hudson Pacific Properties
" Regarding Harbourside Development by Concert Properties: “The applicant hired HUB Cycling to provide a third-party review of the proposed facilities. This proposal represents good planning and is in line with the (City of North Vancouver) Official Community Plan. Council members unanimously approved Concert’s application. "
-City of North Vancouver November 2020 Staff Report to Council
"Your team has been great to work with, and helped make our project better!"
-Rob Davidson, Vice President - Product and Planning, Wesbild Holdings
Bike Friendly Buildings Copyright: Copyright for Bike Friendly Building reports and other products belongs solely to HUB Cycling. Bike Friendly Building documents may not be forwarded to others, transmitted, downloaded, or reproduced in any way without express written permission of the copyright holder.
Intellectual Property Ownership: HUB Cycling shall exclusively own all rights, titles, and interests, including all related Intellectual Property Rights, in and to the Bike Friendly Building assessment process and report framework. Service agreements are not sales and do not convey any rights of ownership in or related to HUB Cycling's Bike Friendly Building processes and products. HUB Cycling's name and logo, and Bike Friendly Building product and service names, are the intellectual property of HUB Cycling, and no right or license is granted to third parties unless expressly permitted by HUB Cycling in writing.