Job Posting: Senior Development Officer
March 12, 2021
HUB Cycling seeks a creative and entrepreneurial Senior Development Officer to plan, execute, and manage our giving strategy. You will be responsible for bringing new individual and organizational donors through prospect research and cultivation strategies, and manage a portfolio of existing donors with a mandate to deepen engagement and grow revenue.
HUB Cycling is a charitable not-for-profit organization that has spent more than two decades removing barriers to cycling in Metro Vancouver while cultivating the health, environmental, and economic benefits that active transportation can bring. HUB has educated thousands of people, motivated thousands more, and championed improvements that #UnGapTheMap to create a connected cycling network.
HUB Cycling is committed to creating an inclusive, barrier-free selection process and work environment. Diversity is integral to this commitment. People with disabilities, women, Indigenous peoples, members of racialized groups, and members of other marginalized communities are encouraged to apply. Learn more about our commitment to diversity, equity & inclusion at bikehub.ca/diversity.
We acknowledge that HUB Cycling, through its various projects, operates on the traditional unceded territories of many First Nations in British Columbia. Learn more about the distinct languages, economic background, and First Nations communities in regions across British Columbia on this interactive map.
The successful candidate will be a proactive, data-driven individual responsible for meeting annual fundraising targets and ensuring best practices in all initiatives. The Senior Development Officer will also be accountable for planning HUB Cycling’s major donor events, including the annual giving reception.
Are you an experienced major gift fundraiser with a track record of success who believes:
- More cycling means healthier, happier, more connected communities,
- Cycling should be accessible to everyone, regardless of their age or abilities, and
- An underdeveloped portfolio is an outsized opportunity.
In that case, we’d love to hear from you.
Reporting to the Director, Campaigns, and Inclusion, responsibilities will include:
- Lead the planning, execution, and evaluation of fundraising programs, campaigns, projects, and events to ensure the focus and integrity of HUB Cycling’s Strategic Goals.
- Direct communication with donors and prospects
- Proficiently manage our digital tools, including Google Drive, website (Drupal), Customer Relationship Management system (CiviCRM), MailChimp, and New Mode.
- Has proven ability to use metrics to drive development decisions and achieve strategic objectives.
- Understands development best practices and can apply them in innovative ways to identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward major gift donors.
- Develops relationships with colleagues, donors, and partners in diverse settings.
- Must have a demonstrated ability to secure significant gifts.
Core knowledge + Skills
- Commitment to the vision, mission, and values of HUB Cycling
- Possesses excellent writing, editing and analytical skills. HUB recognizes that 26 percent of people in B.C. speak a language other than Indigenous languages or English or French as their first language. We respect and value all the different languages spoken by people across the province.
- 3 + years of relevant work experience in the not-for-profit sector, combined with a university degree or related college program
- Networking, effective communications and personal relationship building are core strengths of this position
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and adhere to the Association of Fundraising Professionals’ Code of Conduct
This is a full-time position (35 hours/week) at $24-$28/hour, depending on skill and experience. HUB offers a very flexible work environment.
All staff temporarily work remotely due to COVID-19. Staff must be reasonably available for future in-person meetings and events in Metro Vancouver that follow public health authority guidelines. The successful candidate must have a personal cell phone and reliable home internet connection.
- Three weeks vacation and an additional five wellness days annually.
- Competitive extended health and dental benefits after three months.
- Flexible hours and time off in lieu.
- Basic computer setup.
- $500 towards your home office set up and $25 a month towards internet costs while we work remotely (after a three-month waiting period).
How to apply
Please forward one document that includes a cover letter and resume and one relevant professional writing sample to email@example.com in PDF or Word format, with file name format FirstName_LastName_SDO. Please use the subject line “Senior Development Officer 2021”.
We thank all applicants for your interest. We will only contact the shortlisted candidates.
DEADLINE: Midnight Sunday, April 11, 2021.
PDF listing is available here.