Job Posting: Events Manager
December 14, 2021
HUB Cycling is a charitable not-for-profit organization that has spent more than two decades removing barriers to cycling in Metro Vancouver, while cultivating the health, environmental, and economic benefits that active transportation can bring. HUB Cycling has educated and motivated thousands of people, and championed improvements that #UnGapTheMap to create a more connected cycling network.
HUB Cycling’s mission is to get more people cycling more often. We make cycling better through education, action and events. More cycling means healthier, happier, more connected communities. We’re leading the way in making cycling an attractive choice for everyone.
HUB Cycling is committed to creating a welcoming and inclusive organization. Diversity is integral to this commitment. Diversity among our members, volunteers, staff and Board of Directors allows us to better understand, connect to, and respond to the needs of HUB members and the broader communities we engage with. HUB Cycling encourages women, Indigenous people, people of colour, and LGBTQIA and individuals from other diverse communities to apply, and we encourage you to self-identify in your application.
HUB Cycling seeks an Events Manager to lead the Bike Awards, Bike to School Week, and Bike to Shop. Bike Awards is Metro Vancouver’s most prominent awards ceremony for stakeholders of active transportation. Bike to School Week is an annual celebration where we encourage students of all ages to bike, roll, or walk to school. In 2021, 126 schools took part with 13,700 students tracking 40,500 bike trips. Bike to Shop encourages Metro Vancouver residents to bike to local businesses and motivates Business Improvement Associations to support cycling infrastructure in their neighbourhoods.
The Events Manager will report to The Director of Partnerships and Events. The Events Manager will supervise the Events and Volunteer Coordinator.
Program Development and Management
- Conduct planning and strategic development to ensure the successful delivery and continued growth of all events in this role’s portfolio. This role holds overall responsibility for the success of Bike Awards, Bike to School Week, and Bike to Shop
- Develop and report on the KPIs for all events in this role’s portfolio
- Increase event participation rates and engagement with new audiences
- Lead annual budget forecasting and ongoing budget management for all events in this role’s portfolio
- Ensure events run within budget
Proposals, Grants and Partnerships
- Lead on fund development including corporate sponsorships, grant applications, tendering, and other funding opportunities related to the events overseen by this position.
- Initiate, maintain and steward corporate and community sponsorships and partnerships
- Actively seek opportunities for expanding corporate and community sponsorships
- Ensure all partnership opportunities and associated communication are clearly tracked
Event Planning and Logistics
- Manage event planning and critical paths to ensure event planning is on schedule
- Oversee scheduling, supply management, permitting, planning, and other event-related logistics
- Ensure consistent event-safety and risk-mitigation measures are undertaken
HR/Management of Staff and Volunteers
- Directly supervise the Events and Volunteer Coordinator and delegate tasks as needed to the Events and Outreach Coordinator
- Oversee the work of the Events and Volunteer Coordinator and Events and Outreach Coordinator and ensure their deliverables are met
- Hire, train, and manage event coordinators and event contractors
- Oversee the management of event volunteers in collaboration with the Events and Volunteer Coordinator.
- Liaise with other HUB Cycling staff as appropriate
Marketing, Communication, Promotion and Social Media
- Lead on communication and marketing for all events in this role’s portfolio with the support of the Marketing Manager
- Identify ways to reach out to new audiences through a marketing and communications strategy
- Produce engaging and creative marketing materials with assistance from the Marketing Manager
- Attract media coverage, write media releases and conduct media interviews, with the support of the Marketing Manager or Director of Campaigns and Inclusion
- Oversee the content management of the sections of the HUB Cycling website relevant to events in this role’s portfolio
Operations and Community Engagement
- Design and implement operational improvements within the Engagement Team as agreed with the Director of Partnerships and Events
- Identify and proactively reach out to new audiences and communities in Metro Vancouver
Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- Evaluate programs including efficiency, impact, participation, and costing for continuous program improvement.
- Tally key statistics such as participant demographics and trends
- Provide engaging post event marketing impressions reports to external partners and stakeholders with assistance from the Marketing Manager
- Prepare quarterly report for the executive director and board
- Prepare reports for other funders as needed
- A strategic and driven program or event manager
- Excited about developing relationships with sponsors and making the ask
- An engaging leader with experience managing small teams of permanent staff, seasonal staff, and volunteers
- Highly organized and a master of details, deadlines and deliverables
- Comfortable with planning community events during an uncertain period and able to quickly pivot if needed, and communicate associated changes to the team and sponsors
- Skilled at delegating and prioritizing
- Friendly, professional, creative
- Familiar with Metro Vancouver’s geography, municipalities and business sectors
- Passionate about the role that bicycles can play in building happier, healthier and more connected communities
Qualifications, knowledge and skills:
- 3+ years of relevant experience managing teams and planning all details of events
- Experience in developing and stewarding strong relationships with sponsors, business and community partners
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with a diverse set of stakeholders including partners, local municipalities, staff and volunteers
- Confident managing data, maintaining basic statistics and producing engaging reports
- Excellent written, interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills
- Hold a valid driver’s license and are eligible to drive Modo car share vehicles
- Flexibility, interpersonal skills, and enthusiasm are key to success in this position
Bonus points for:
- Familiarity with social media platforms, newsletter and website content management
- Experience planning events during COVID-19 and remaining flexible during a period of uncertainty
This is a full-time position (35 hours/week) starting February 2022 with compensation of $45,500-$54,600 per year depending on experience.
The successful candidate must be willing and able to work evenings and weekends in the lead up to the events; any time accrued can be taken back as time off in lieu. The successful candidate will also need access to their own cell phone and a reliable home internet connection.
All staff are currently working on a flexible working schedule. The candidate will be required to come into the office (312 Main St) Thursday and Friday. Additional work days will be remote. Staff must be reasonably available for future in-person meetings and events in Metro Vancouver that follow public health authority guidelines.
- 3 weeks vacation and an additional 5 wellness days annually
- Competitive extended health and dental benefits
- Flexible hours and time off in lieu
- Computer and basic office set up
- $500 towards your home office set up and $25 a month towards internet costs whilst we work remotely (after a 3 month waiting period)
- Friendly and supportive coworkers
- A supportive and inclusive environment where folks from all backgrounds and identities are welcome
How to apply:
Please forward one document that includes a cover letter and resume and one relevant professional writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org in PDF format, with file name format Firstname_Lastname EventsManager.pdf. Please use the subject line “Events Manager 2022”.
The deadline to apply is Friday, January 21, 2022, at 11:59 PM. However, we will continue to accept applications until the position is filled.