Job Posting: Director of Operations
January 24, 2022
Join our growing team!
HUB Cycling is a charitable not-for-profit organization that has spent more than two decades removing barriers to cycling in Metro Vancouver, while cultivating the health, environmental, and economic benefits that active transportation can bring. HUB Cycling has educated and motivated thousands of people, and championed improvements that #UnGapTheMap to create a more connected cycling network. Our organization is growing quickly in size and impact and we have added this new Director of Operations role to help us continue to provide high quality, effective and efficient cycling improvements.
HUB Cycling’s mission is to get more people cycling more often. We make cycling better through education, action, research and events. More cycling means healthier, happier, more connected communities. Thousands of people have participated in our programs directly and thousands more benefit from the improvements we catalyze.
HUB Cycling is committed to creating a welcoming and inclusive organization. Diversity is integral to this commitment. Diversity among our members, volunteers, staff and Board of Directors allows us to better understand, connect to, and respond to the needs of HUB members and the broader communities we engage with. HUB Cycling encourages women, Indigenous people, people of colour, and LGBTQIA and individuals from other diverse communities to apply, and we encourage you to self-identify in your application.
Cycling is a quickly growing movement that responds positively to many of our greatest challenges: the climate crisis, health challenges, affordability, congestion, and a desire for more community connection. To help us continue our growth, we’re seeking an experienced director of operations to join our team. As an ideal candidate, you have proven senior management experience in a highly dynamic setting. Your organizational, communication, and leadership skills are second to none and you enjoy developing solutions. You’ll work closely with the leadership team to strategize and develop long-term plans that usher in new levels of efficiency, equity and success at HUB Cycling.
The Director of Operations will report to the Executive Director, will supervise the Office Manager and oversee the work of the contract Bookkeeper.
- Budget: develop working and formal budgets, train other staff to contribute to the working budget, oversee updates and reporting work of bookkeeper and office manager, responsibility for maintaining a healthy budget and cashflow and direct responsibility for core budget including overhead, IT, etc.
- Financial management including banking, investing, taxes, government subsidies/loans
- IT management, planning and governance: CiviCRM, website, wikis, Go By Bike Week online tracker, interactive databases
- Policies: develop and update facilities, equipment, and HR policies to lead the team with integrity and establish and maintain a trusting, inclusive, and productive environment including diversifying our team and providing pay equity
- Planning: lead the development and updating of the annual Operating Plan including staff engagement sessions and oversee team input, plan for facilities and equipment needs and policies/processes
- Insurance: maintain adequate insurance coverage for all organization needs
- Oversee Office Manager and Bookkeeper
- Participate in the Board of Director’s Operations Committee
- Support Research team with data integrity and governance
- Participate in the staff leadership team and input into long term strategy and planning
- Analyze current operational processes and performance, recommending solutions for improvement when necessary
- Plan, monitor, and analyze key metrics for the performance of the operations to ensure efficient, meaningful and timely completion of objectives via the annual operating plan
- Contribute operational expertise to support growth and maintenance of HUB programs, including processes to maximize outcomes and minimize cost
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills:
- Committed to the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion
- Relevant experience
- Experience with budget and business plan development
- Strong working knowledge of data analysis, performance metrics and information technology best practices
- Excellent knowledge of multiple operational functions and principles, including finance, customer service, programming, and employee management
- Friendly, professional and an excellent communicator who enjoys being a central point of contact for internal contacts and working as part of a close-knit team.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and skilled at working with many moving parts and logistics to run effective and efficient systems.
- Flexible and able to adapt to quickly changing environments
- Confident and efficient using computer programs including Google Workspace (mail, calendar, sheets & docs), CRMs, Drupal, wikis and quickly learns web tools.
Bonus points for:
- Experience working in a non-profit organization.
- Passion for getting more people cycling more often.
This is a permanent employee position. Anticipated start date is in April 2022 (with some flexibility). All staff are expected to work remotely part-time due to COVID-19. Part time office space is available. It is expected that the applicant will be present in the office weekly (BC health orders allowing) and that the applicant has a personal cell phone and reliable home internet connection.
Weekly hours: 30-35 hours/week (4-5 days/week) with compensation of $32-45/hour depending on experience.
- 3 weeks vacation and an additional 5 wellness days annually
- Competitive extended health and dental benefits after 3 months
- Flexible hours and time off in lieu
- Computer and basic office set up
- $500 towards your home office set up and $25 a month towards internet costs while we work remotely (after a 3 month waiting period)
- A supportive and inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds and identities are welcome
How To Apply:
Please send a cover letter and resume (in one PDF document) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Operations Application” as the subject line. Please ensure the file name follows the convention: “DO_Firstname_Lastname.pdf”.
Deadline: Feb 20, 2022 at 9pm, however applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis. Please apply ASAP to ensure you are considered. We thank all the applicants for your interest. Only those shortlisted will be contacted.