Job Posting: Bike Education Coordinator
December 15, 2020
HUB Cycling is a charitable not-for-profit organization that has spent more than two decades removing barriers to cycling in Metro Vancouver, while cultivating the health, environmental, and economic benefits that active transportation can bring. HUB Cycling has educated and motivated thousands of people, and championed improvements that #UnGapTheMap to create a more connected cycling network.
HUB Cycling’s mission is to get more people cycling more often. We make cycling better through education, action and events. More cycling means healthier, happier, more connected communities. We’re leading the way in making cycling an attractive choice for everyone.
HUB Cycling is committed to creating a welcoming and inclusive organization. Diversity is integral to this commitment. Diversity among our members, volunteers, staff and Board of Directors allows us to better understand, connect to, and respond to the needs of HUB members and the broader communities we engage with. HUB Cycling encourages women, Indigenous people, people of colour, and LGBTQIA and individuals from other diverse communities to apply, and we welcome you to self-identify in your application.
About HUB Cycling’s Bike Education Programs
HUB Cycling delivers bike education programs to thousands of youth and adults across Metro Vancouver each year. Our courses are customized for various ages and skill-levels and are delivered by our team of trained instructors at schools, community centers, libraries and workplaces. Participants build the skills and confidence needed for safe and enjoyable urban cycling, and consistently report cycling more often after taking a course.
HUB Cycling has three primary education programs: Bike to School, courses delivered in Metro Vancouver elementary and middle schools along with new Provincial Everyone Rides Grade 4-5 program; StreetWise Cycling public courses covering a range of skill-levels as well as specialized courses for specific communities; and Workplace Cycling Workshops delivered to employees in the workplace (including virtually).
We are seeking a highly organized person to join our growing Bike Education team. Under the direct supervision of HUB Cycling’s Director of Bike Education, the coordinator will be responsible for the scheduling and coordinating of course logistics for programs in collaboration with the existing coordinator. The Bike Education Coordinator will be one of the lead staff responsible for communications between HUB Cycling and external community partners, schools and workplaces.
- Understanding all details of HUB Cycling’s Bike Education program delivery, including course delivery, contract targets, and municipal school systems.
- Outreaching to school and community contacts to schedule and organize programs including all program logistics, conveying the importance and value of bike education.
- Scheduling programs with external / internal communications efficiently, using tools and systems such as WhenIWork, spreadsheets, and Google platforms.
- Scheduling bike education instructors to deliver programs; ensuring they have all information needed to deliver high quality programming.
- Coordinating storage and equipment for programs, including vehicles, bikes, helmets, activity materials, prizes, give-aways, and related items, including fleet maintenance.
- Conducting follow-up communications with program contacts and participants to compile and collect feedback.
- Coordinating longitudinal outcome surveys for programs as necessary.
- Assisting in compiling and analyzing program data, and reporting.
- Assisting with communications, social media and website updates as necessary.
- Supporting the hiring and training of new Bike Education instructors, and on-going performance review of instructor team.
- Supporting additional Bike Education program tasks as needed and as agreed upon with the Director of Bike Education.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and skilled at working with many moving parts and logistics to run effective and efficient programming.
- Friendly, professional and an excellent communicator who enjoys being a central point of contact for internal and external contacts and working as part of a close-knit team.
- Flexible and able to adapt to the peaks and flows of seasonal programs.
- Confident and efficient using computer programs including Google mail, calendar, sheets & docs.
- Able to travel to school sites around Metro Vancouver for program monitoring as needed.
- Certified in Standard First Aid and hold a current Criminal Record Check for working with vulnerable populations (or are willing to obtain)
- Passionate about the role bicycles can play in building happier, healthier and more connected communities.
Bonus points for:
- Experience working with public school systems.
- Proficient with communication tools such as MailChimp and website updates
- Familiarity with conducting program evaluation.
- Experience working in a non-profit organization.
- Having a valid driver’s license and eligibility to drive Modo car share vehicles.
- Willingness to become an on-call instructor to sub for programs from time to time.
This is a permanent 35 hours/week employee position with compensation of $20/hr. Anticipated start date is in late January 2021 (with some flexibility). All staff are expected to temporarily work remotely due to COVID-19. Staff must be reasonably available for future in-person meetings and events in Metro Vancouver that follow public health authority guidelines. It is expected that the applicant has a personal cell phone and reliable home internet connection. This position involves occasional on-call availability for communication with instructors and/or school staff outside of regular work hours.
- 3 weeks vacation and an additional 5 wellness days annually
- Competitive extended health and dental benefits after 3 months
- Flexible hours and time off in lieu
- Basic Computer set up
- $500 towards your home office set up and $25 a month towards internet costs whilst we work remotely (after a 3 month waiting period)
- A supportive and inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds and identities are welcome
How To Apply:
Please send a cover letter and resume (in one PDF document) to email@example.com with “Bike Education Coordinator Application” as the subject line. Please ensure the file name follows the convention: “BEdC21_Firstname_Lastname.pdf”. Deadline to apply is Sunday, Jan 10, 2021 however, we will review applications on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. We thank all the applicants for your interest. Only those shortlisted will be contacted.