E-Bikes Now Permitted on Buses
January 27, 2020
While people-powered bikes have always been allowed on TransLink’s bus bike racks, policies formerly in place prohibited e-bikes, despite meeting specified weight requirements.
TransLink has just announced a change to this policy. Electric bicycles are now permitted on bike racks under the following conditions:
- Weigh less than 25 kg (55 lbs).
- Wheels fit properly in the bike rack.
- The bike includes a lithium battery.
- Customers must remove the battery and bring it on board the bus.
- Scooter-style electric bikes are not permitted on bike racks. They weigh too much and don't fit properly on the rack.
As always, there is no additional cost for taking your bike on the bus, and bikes are allowed on buses and community shuttles during all operational hours with no restrictions. A maximum capacity of two bikes per bus still remains.
For more information about taking bikes on buses, please visit TransLink’s website.