126 Metro Vancouver schools celebrated Bike to School Week
June 29, 2021
This year’s Bike to School Week was unlike any other with the presence of the COVID-19 pandemic, but that didn't stop our School Champions from encouraging active travel at their schools! For the first time ever, Bike to School Week occurred twice in the same school year and smashed participation records as 126 schools celebrated Biked to School Week from May 31 - June 4, 2021.
The free, fun, week-long event enhanced green initiatives already happening at schools, and highlighted the benefits of active transportation - like less congestion and healthy, energized students. 79% of schools who participated in the event said they were motivated to take part because they wanted to keep school culture alive during a very different year with COVID-19, and they definitely succeeded! Check out event highlights below.
2021 Key Highlights
- 126 schools participated
- 43 schools took part twice in the 2020/21 school year
- 28 schools participated for the first-time
- 40,498 bike trips were recorded (an average of 325 trips per school)
- 13,710 riders participated (an average of 111 riders per school)
- 15,046 other active travel trips recorded (walking, scootering, skateboarding, etc.)
- 15 Bike Reels student video contest submissions
“Bike to School Week was the opportunity we needed to reach out and reconnect with families in the community. It was such a good event that focused on the importance of physical health, green initiatives and community culture. Weeks later, we continue to see the benefits to running the bike to school event and believe in the success it has had on our school community. We can't wait to make it bigger and better next year.’ - Woodland Park Elementary, Surrey
“Principal said it was the most "school spirited" event this whole covid year. He made the office/front reception of the area of the school a bike shop and coordinated the logistics of giving away the donated bikes. The bike parade/ slow race was wonderful to see! THANK YOU from Ecole Riverdale!” - Ecole Riverdale Elementary, Surrey
“BTSW is a great initiative and our school loves it! HUB’s framework and tools are the right motivation to champion active transportation to and from school. Our students and their families experience first hand the benefits from utilizing their bikes (scooters and skateboards) and there is a shift towards increased active transportation every year after BTSW.” - Florence Nightingale Elementary, Vancouver
A huge congratulations go out to the following schools for taking home this year’s grand prizes!
- Winner Most Riders: Kerrisdale Elementary, Vancouver
- Runner-up Most Riders: Grauer Elementary, Richmond
- Winner Most Trips: Ecole Boundary Elementary, North Vancouver
- Runner-up Most Trips: St. Helen’s Elementary, Burnaby
- Best First Time School: Anne-Hébert, Annexe Henderson, Vancouver
Thank you to all the parents, students, teachers, and school administrators who stepped forward to champion this event in their school communities. Thank you to our incredible event sponsors and supporters for making this event possible. You’re amazing!
Missed out on this year’s event? No worries! Subscribe to our Cycling Education newsletter for future event updates.