Job Posting: Bike to Shop Coordinators
June 30, 2021
We are hiring Bike to Shop Coordinators! The event runs from August 7 - 20 inclusive.
HUB Cycling is Metro Vancouver’s cycling organization. We get more people riding bikes more often through education, action, research, and events. With over 45,000 email subscribers, 2,000 members, and tens of thousands of people reached through events each year, HUB is leading the way in making cycling an attractive choice for everyone.
Knowledge HUBs are one of our most popular in-person activations during events. They are used to promote our events and are high-energy places where the community can visit to receive cycling information and resources for a safe and happy ride. Over 1,000 cyclists have been counted at our most popular Knowledge HUBs in Metro Vancouver and thousands more have passed by. More information about Knowledge HUBs can be found at https://bit.ly/2RohkDH
About Bike to Shop:
Bike to Shop aims to demonstrate the positive relationship between biking, business, and community. It has run since 2016 and over 18,000 people have taken part. From August 7 - 20, local businesses in 20 neighbourhoods across Metro Vancouver are offering amazing freebies, and sweet deals for people biking to their business. View the schedule here. Many of these neighbourhoods will also have Knowledge HUBs.
The Bike to Shop Coordinators are responsible for managing these Knowledge HUBs and promoting registration for the event.
- A strategic and driven event coordinator
- Highly organized and a master of details and deliverables
- Experienced in customer service
- An engaging leader who is able to effectively manage a team of volunteers
- Friendly, professional, and able to multitask
- Passionate about the role that bicycles can play in building happier, healthier, and more connected communities
- Excited to engage with event participants
- Ensure Knowledge HUBs comply with COVID-19 safety compliance regulations
- Ensuring attendees are abiding by physical distancing protocols
- Enforcing current health and safety recommendations such as the supply and use of hand sanitizer
- Crowd control
- Transportation of station equipment
- Manage equipment during the event
- Drive and store a Modo van during the week
Overseeing the set-up and takedown of each station (1 - 2 per day)
- Ensure signage and materials are in line with notes
- Maintain presentable and well-supplied snacks where applicable
- Sales sheets (if applicable for HUB Membership)
- Set-up in a neat and professional manner in line with HUB guidelines
Knowledge HUB management
- Taking photos of every station
- Troubleshooting minor issues and escalating higher issues
- Entice people to visit
- Engaging with participants
- Liaising with Bike to Shop Sponsors and Supporters and providing all signage/acknowledgment requirements
- Communicate with HUB Staff via team WhatsApp
- Communicating wait time for those wanting mechanic services
- Host check-in meetings
- Delegate tasks
- Training on the day
- Thanking volunteers for their time
- Tracking those that stop and those that pass by
Promotion of Bike to Shop and HUB Cycling
- Encourage event registration
- HUB Membership
- Flexibility, interpersonal skills, and enthusiasm are key to success in this position. The Knowledge HUBs will run in all weathers!
- Valid driver’s license - two years driving history in BC preferred in order to be eligible to hold a Modo car share account
- Familiarity with HUB Cycling and its programs preferred
- Love of cycling for transportation and interest in sustainable transport and cities preferred
- Ability to manage a group of volunteers
- Must be able to lift 40 lbs
Terms and Conditions:
Reports to: Engagement Manager.
Knowledge HUBs run from August 7 - 9 and August 13 - 17. They mostly run at 11AM - 1PM, 1PM - 3PM, or 3PM - 5PM and there are 12 scheduled across the two noted time periods. The coordinator's shifts typically start an hour before and after each Knowledge HUB to account for travel time, set-up, assigning volunteers to their roles, and clean up.
4 temporary contract positions available.
2 positions for approximately 40 hours (8 Knowledge HUBs)
2 positions for approximately 20 hours (4 Knowledge HUBs)
1 position to work an extra 35 hours from August 2 - 6 to help with event preparation
You must be able to attend two paid training sessions
- July 29, 2021 from 5 pm - 7 pm: virtual training session with HUB Staff, Coordinators, and Volunteers
- August 6, 2021 from 5 pm - 7 pm: packing event equipment
- Dates and times are subject to change
Rate: $21 CAD per hour
To apply, please send a cover letter & resume in a single PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Bike to Shop Coordinator’ in the subject line. Please indicate if you would like to be considered to work an extra 35 hours in August 2 - 6.
We will continue to accept applications until positions are filled.
HUB Cycling is committed to creating a welcoming, inclusive workplace and to working with people and communities to help them thrive and prosper. Diversity is integral to this commitment. Our diversity allows us to better understand, connect to, and respond to the needs of our members and communities. HUB Cycling encourages women, Indigenous people, people of colour, and LGBTQIA and individuals from other diverse communities to apply.
Due to the high number of applicants, only those selected for the next steps will be contacted.