Manager of Partnerships and Events Job Description
January 30, 2020
The Events and Partnerships Manager will be responsible for enhancing and expanding HUB’s current event portfolio and will play a critical role in helping to get more people cycling in Metro Vancouver.
The manager will oversee strategic planning and development of Bike to Shop Days, Bike the Night, Bike Shorts, Bike Awards, as well as other fundraising and social events throughout the year. The Events and Partnerships Manager will build and steward relationships with various external stakeholders and municipal partners, as well as recruit and supervise full time and part-time event staff. The Manager will also oversee HUB’s Organization Membership Program.
Under the leadership of HUB Cycling’s Director of Engagement and Development, the Manager of Partnerships and Events is responsible for:
Program Development and Management
- Conduct planning and strategic development to ensure the continued growth of events
- Ensuring overall success of all HUB Cycling’s events programs, including Bike the Night, Bike to Shop Days, Bike Shorts, Bike Awards and other fundraising or networking events throughout the year
Proposals, Grants and Partnerships
- Lead in funds development including corporate and municipal proposals, grant applications, tendering, and other funding opportunities.
- Maintaining and nurturing relationships with HUB’s diverse community - sponsors, organization members, community partners, stakeholders
- Manage event critical paths, oversee scheduling, supply management, permitting, planning, and other event related logistics
- Liaise with the City of Vancouver, traffic management personnel, VPD and contractors to confirm Bike the Night’s on street route as well as management of ride on event day
- Ensure consistent event safety and risk mitigation measures are undertaken
HR/ Management of Coordinators and Volunteers
- Hire, train, and manage program coordinators and event contractors
- Directly supervise Events and Volunteer Coordinator
- Support management of Events Coordinator (Directly supervised by Bike to Work Week Manager)
- Provide performance reviews for program coordinators
- Oversee work of Events and Volunteer Coordinator including the strategic development, planning, and management of volunteer program, and ensuring deliverables are met
- Lead annual budget forecasting and ongoing budget management
- Ensure programs run within budget
Marketing, Communication, Promotion and Social Media
- Lead on all communication and marketing for programs including social media, website, and newsletters
- Produce engaging and creative marketing materials with assistance from the Marketing Coordinator and Communications Director
- Attracting media coverage, writing media releases and doing media interviews
Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- Evaluation of programs including efficiency, impact, participation, and costing for continuous program improvement.
- Tally key statistics such as participant demographics and trends
- Provide engaging post event marketing impressions reports to external partners and stakeholders with assistance from Marketing Coordinator
- Quarterly reporting to executive director and board
Required Skills, Traits and Qualifications:
- Bachelor degree or equivalent in an applicable field.
- 3+ years of experience in event or program management role.
- Sponsorship solicitation and/or related sales experience.
- Capable of working on multiple projects simultaneously, strong time management and prioritization skills.
- Self-starter, able to take initiative and deliver on time.
- Flexibility, interpersonal skills, and enthusiasm are key to success in this position.
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to effectively train, supervise, evaluate and motivate staff members.
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills. Works positively as part of a close-knit team.
- Ability to develop and nurture relationships and partnerships with a diverse group of stakeholders including community, corporate and municipal partners
- Strategic thinker, able to support program development.
- Proficiency in using general office computer programs including Google Suite.
- Valid driver’s license required to transport large supplies to events (you don’t need your own car - we use carshare vehicles).
- Believes in the environmental, social, health and community benefits of cycling for transportation.
- Committed to principles of equity, diversity and inclusion.
Preferred Skills, Traits and Qualifications:
- Experience working in a not-for-profit service organization.
- Experience with data analysis and program evaluation.
- Have own cell phone and home computer for occasional work outside the office.
- Familiar with Metro Vancouver’s geography, municipalities and business sectors.
Contract Term, Hours and Wages:
This is a full time position (35 hours/week) at $23-27/hour depending on skills and experience. HUB offers a very friendly and flexible office environment with opportunities to work remotely when possible, and take additional time off in lieu. Competitive medical, dental and vacation benefits are included.
- Hours will increase leading up to events.
- Must be willing and able to work evenings and weekends where necessary.
Please send a cover letter and resume (in one pdf document) to firstname.lastname@example.org with Manager of Partnerships and Events as the subject line. Please ensure the file name follows the convention ‘EventsManager_Firstname_Lastname.pdf’
Please include in your application:
- A brief list of events managed with # of attendees, sponsorship attained or amounts fundraised, if relevant.
- Please attach a professional writing sample. This could include a report, sponsorship proposal, blog post, media release, detailed follow-up email, etc.
- Your availability for a 20 minute phone interview on February 19th or 20th.
- Please include your hourly salary expectation.
Deadline: Monday, February 24, 2020 at 5pm, however we will continue to accept applications until the position is filled
Due to the high number of applicants, only those selected for next steps will be contacted