Job Posting: Events and Volunteer Coordinator
January 27, 2020
The Events and Volunteer Coordinator will be responsible for assisting with the planning and coordination of HUB Cycling’s events throughout the year including Bike to Work Week (May 25-31 & Oct 19-25), Bike to Shop Days, and Bike the Night (Sept 12 *tentative).
This position will include leading on all volunteer recruitment, management, training and retention for all events as well as doing an assessment of HUB Cycling’s current volunteer program and developing and implementing a strategy for the coming year.
About HUB Cycling:
HUB Cycling delivers events to thousands of community members across Metro Vancouver each year. Our events celebrate cycling for transportation in fun and unique ways with the goal of encouraging people to make the switch to cycling for transportation.
Bike to Work Week encourages tens of thousands to log their daily bike trips and visit celebration stations across Metro Vancouver. Bike the Night opens up 10km of downtown Vancouver streets so thousands can experience the joys of car-free streets with costumes, lights and music. Through online resources, guided rides and pop-up activations, Bike to Shop Days demonstrates how easy, fun, and convenient it can be to shop by bike.
Under the direct supervision of HUB Cycling’s Manager of Partnerships and Events and with support from the Bike to Work Week Manager, the Events and Volunteer Coordinator is directly or indirectly responsible for:
- Oversee all volunteer recruitment, management, scheduling, and training (approx. 200 volunteers between all events)
- Lead on all volunteer communication including updating newsletters, website, and social media
- Lead on event projects that involve volunteers (Bike to Shop Days guided rides, data entry, etc.)
- Provide an assessment of HUB's current volunteer program and develop and implement a strategy for the coming year
- Assist with marketing and promotions, including contributing to strategy, writing content, sourcing volunteers to assist with poster distribution, and more
- Support Events Coordinator with Bike the Night registration process
- Assist the Program Managers in compiling and analyzing program data, and reporting
- Lead on Bike to Work Week Community Station program
- Source, gather and pack event supplies
- Assist with other event-related tasks as needed
Required Skills, Traits and Qualifications:
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and skilled at working with many moving parts and logistics to run an effective event
- Friendly, professional and an excellent communicator who enjoys being a central point of contact for internal and external contacts and working as part of a close-knit team
- Experience with volunteer recruitment, management, training and retention
- Experience working in events or program management
- Must be able to lift 40 lbs
- Valid driver’s license and eligibility to drive Modo vehicles required (we use Modo vans to move large supplies)
- Experience with Google G-Suite or similar productivity suites
- Passionate about the role bicycles can play in building happier, healthier and more connected communities
- Access to own computer and cell phone preferred
- Experience working in a not-for-profit organization is an asset
- Flexible hours
- Competitive health and dental benefits after 3 months of employment
- A great office environment in a vibrant co-working space with regular wellness activities (and secure bike parking)
- Getting paid to organize bike events
Contract Term, Hours and Wages:
- Start Date: Between March 9 and March 16
- End Date: October 1 (with possibility for extension)
- $21/Hour + health and dental benefits
- 30 Hours / week average per 4 week period
- Hours will likely increase leading up to Bike to Work Week and Bike the Night
- Must be willing and able to work evenings and weekends where necessary
- No vacation will be permitted two weeks before Bike to Work Week or Bike the Night, unless approved by manager
This position may be eligible for additional funding from the Get Youth Working Grant. Please note that candidates will be considered based on required job qualifications and not on additional funding eligibility. Feel free to let us know if you meet any of the following requirements.
Please send a cover letter and resume (in one pdf document) to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name as well as 'Events and Volunteer Coordinator' as the subject line.
Please include in your application:
- Your availability for a 15 minute phone interview on February 17th or 18th
- Please indicate that you have a valid driver’s license (require at least a New Drivers license)
- Monday, February 17, 2020 at 5pm, however we will continue to accept applications until the position is filled
- Due to the high number of applicants, only those selected for next steps will be contacted