Job Posting: Event Coordinator (Fixed-term and Part-time: March 13th, 2023 - June 9th, 2023)
February 8, 2023
WHO WE ARE:
HUB Cycling is a charitable not-for-profit organization that has spent more than two decades removing barriers to cycling in Metro Vancouver while cultivating the health, environmental, and economic benefits that active transportation can bring. HUB Cycling has educated and motivated thousands of people and championed improvements that #UnGapTheMap to create a more connected cycling network.
HUB Cycling is committed to creating an inclusive, barrier-free selection process and work environment. People with disabilities, women, Indigenous peoples, members of racialized groups, members of the LGBTQ2S+ community, and members of other marginalized communities are especially encouraged to apply.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
HUB Cycling seeks an Event Coordinator for three months, starting March 13th until June 9th, to support Go by Bike Week and Bike to School Week. This is a part-time, fixed-term contract position with an hourly base pay of $24.08.
Reporting to the Events Manager, the Events Coordinator is responsible for planning, supporting, and executing Go by Bike Week and Bike to School Week event components. The successful candidate will have strong administrative and event coordination experience with strong attention to detail and a can-do attitude.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Go by Bike Week:
- Logistical coordination with sponsors
- Work on-site and assist with duties during the media event
Wrap-Up Event (June 3rd TBC):
- Assist with creating a site map
- Assist with day-of wrap-up event duties, including setup, tear down, and supply returns
- Coordinate with and secure vendors, sponsors, and suppliers; email site map, permits, set-up, and tear-down details; respond to any questions
- Manage vendors, sponsors, and suppliers on the day of to make sure they are set up correctly and help answer any questions
General Event Duties:
- Responsible for sourcing, organizing, and packing event supplies for the Go by Bike Week Media Event, Wrap Up Event, and Celebration Stations
- Print, pick up, and organize materials for Go by Bike Week Media Event, Wrap Up Event, and Celebration Stations
- Assist with submitting event permits
- Ensure on-site station activators have all their necessary supplies for the week
- Compile Community Station (community-led event activations) packages
- Assist with marketing and promotions, including poster distribution, online calendar listings, and social media
- Reach out to prize winners and coordinate pick-up/delivery
- Update the website with Celebration Station details and other event information
- Check inventories of supplies, purchase supplies, and organize supplies after the event
Week-of Event Production (May 29th to June 2nd):
- Staff in-person Celebration Stations in locations across Metro Vancouver
- Set up and take down Celebration Stations
- Act as a representative of HUB Cycling to engage passers-by with enthusiasm and friendliness
- Provide cycling resources to passers-by
- Coordinate services with the on-site mechanic
- Work with volunteers to engage with event participants
Bike to School Week:
- Print, pack, and mail supplies to participating schools
- Assist with communicating with teachers and school staff
Any other tasks as required for the production of the above events.
- Highly organized and a lover of details, deadlines, and deliverables
- Willing and able to organize both digital documents and physical supplies
- Friendly, professional, and willing to pitch in to support the team as needed
- Six months + of relevant administrative or event coordination experience
- Good written, interpersonal, and verbal communication skills
- Good time-management and organizational skills
- Competency with computer software, including Google Suite or similar productivity suites
- Class 5 driver's license and two years of driving history in BC
- Able to lift 20 lbs
- Willingness to work rain or shine
- Flexibility and enthusiasm are key to success in this position
- Prior customer service experience is preferred
- Knowledge of graphic design is an asset (E.g., Canva, Illustrator)
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Position Type: Part-time, seasonal 3-month contract position.
Start Date: Anticipated start date is March 13th, 2023, or earlier.
Compensation: $24.08 per hour + 6% vacation pay
Reporting: The position reports to the Event Manager
Location: Staff will largely be working from home, with occasional meetings at 312 Main St, Vancouver. You will be expected to work onsite setting up and running activations across Metro Vancouver from May 28th to June 3nd for the week-of event production (see above). A vehicle will be provided for this week.
Time commitment: 10-14 hours per week, ramp up closer to and during the events. You are expected to work a total of 40 hours from May 28th to June 3nd for the week-of event production (see above).
Schedule: Hours to be completed between 9 AM-5 PM from days between Monday to Thursday. Otherwise, you have flexibility in deciding the hours and days of the week as long as the work is done in a timely manner.
- 6% vacation is provided
- Flexible work environment
- Access to a Mobi VIP account for the duration of the contract
- An opportunity to explore and engage with communities across Metro Vancouver
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your resume and a brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org in PDF format, with file name format Firstname_Lastname_EVENTCOORDINATOR.pdf. Please use the subject line “EventCoordinator2023”.
The deadline to apply is February 28, 2023, at 11:59PM. Please submit your application early as interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. We will continue to accept applications until the position is filled.
We acknowledge that HUB Cycling, through its various projects, operates on the traditional unceded territories of many First Nations in British Columbia. Learn more about the distinct languages, economic backgrounds, and First Nations communities in regions across British Columbia on this interactive map.